EXTREME EMERGENCY!!! Pooping Pure Liquid Blood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes,my understanding is because Coccidiosis is parasitic(produces eggs and cysts)which are extremely difficult to kill. Bleach will not kill cocci,a 10% ammonia solution is what is recommended to kill/disinfect. Bleach will kill bacteria/viruses.
Okay, makes sense, but do you have any links? I tried a while back but didn't have much time to spare then to do a good search. I thought if you had something, it would make it quicker is all.

"Okay, makes sense, but do you have any links? I tried a while back but didn't have much time to spare then to do a good search. I thought if you had something, it would make it quicker is all.
I was told this by my vet,but here are a couple of links.

www.acerlux.com/diseaseconditions/coccidia.html

www.companionpups.com/pages/vaxparasitevirusinfo.aspx

www.agric.wa.gov.au/PC_91839.html

Important to note,that while Coccidiosis symptoms are the same in all animals/birds the drugs used to treat may not be. Just so there is no confusion as to why Corid(amprolium) is recommended.

Last edited:
I was told this by my vet,but here are a couple of links.

www.acerlux.com/diseaseconditions/coccidia.html

www.companionpups.com/pages/vaxparasitevirusinfo.aspx

www.agric.wa.gov.au/PC_91839.html

Important to note,that while Coccidiosis symptoms are the same in all animals/birds the drugs used to treat may not be. Just so there is no confusion as to why Corid(amprolium) is recommended.
The last one is the same I found relating to chickens. Most of the rest just mention dogs or cats or whatever. I also noticed that the percentage of ammonia is different in each article as well. Some as high as 10% and all taking at least 24 hours to work. I also found out why the bleach, which will kill them, doesn't work as well as the ammonia. Bleach doesn't sink into anything left on surfaces. For it to work, it has to be a painted surface and no traces of any kind of litter or poop left on them. An iodine mix will also work but has no residual effects. Interesting stuff. I still think the 'old timers' had it right using a whitewash in their coops. Lime will kill the coccidia and a whole lot more. As soon as I can get some breathing room, I am going to be pouring a lime wash floor in my main layer's room. I'm thinking at least 2" deep rather than just a painting. Sand or shavings over it to protect the surface. The health benefits from white wash are unbelievable! Mites, nope, lice nope, some of the resipiratory, again nope. Coccidia? DOA. They can't stand up to the lime. Something to think about.....

No bloody poop today. The chick is running around trying to get out to be with her brothers. Her comb is red and her eyes are bright. Her tail is up too. Im keeping her separated still for observation as well. Im still waiting for my corid to arrive, so she will still be getting the medicated chick starter with the milk and garlic. It seems to be helping.
fl.gif
No one else is showing signs of illness.

Last edited:
No Bloody poop today either. The chicks is active and seems to be thriving.

I was able to get some corid from Fundy Trail Vets in Truro/Salmon River. The older gentleman there was very helpful and got me set up for what I needed. It only cost $12!

I have all the chicks of the same age as her on the corid and isolated from the older hens.

I think the crisis is averted!

Ten chicks, you should start a thread about what medications are available in Canada and how to get them, I'd love to see that! There's a Canadian that can't seem to find wormers or antibiotics over in the peafowl forum, they could really use your help!

-Kathy

Ten chicks, you should start a thread about what medications are available in Canada and how to get them, I'd love to see that! There's a Canadian that can't seem to find wormers or antibiotics over in the peafowl forum, they could really use your help!

-Kathy
I know,in Canada you have to ask for what the drug is,not the brand name,for example don't ask for Corid ask for Amprolium. One antibiotic is Paracillin(contains amoxicillin trihydrate). I am lucky,when i need meds,my vet hands me his book on medications available in Canada,and i look up what i need(with his advice) and he will fill my request. The problem i have found,is that because some of the products are not licensed for use in poultry,the vet will tell you they don't have it,meaning they have it,but it does not say for use in poultry. Also if you know the drug and you know it is safe for poultry,but it indicates that it is for sheep,tell them you have a sheep,vets generally do not ask too many questions regarding livestock.

Drugs are all locked up tight here. Us Canadians we all might want to ingest some Amprolium or maybe some Ivomec,thank goodness they are not available for me to purchase over the counter,i might want to drink a big glass of Amprolium and maybe for fun,i might want to worm myself. Thank you Government of Canada.lol

For worms there is Piperazine,used for ascariasis(roundworm). Currently to my knowledge there are no "approved" drugs for use in poultry for capillaria,caecal worms or tapeworms,so the use of drugs such as fenbendazole,ivermectin,levamizole,oxfendazole and albendazole are used with veterinary prescriptions.

I will go visit my vet and compile a list of drugs available for use in Canada.

Last edited:
Quote:
Gee, thats how I feel too!!

I found some horse wormer that has Fenbendizole and one with Ivomec in it. Of course a tube of it costs about $20 but its better than nothing. I used it on my girls and they are fine., just a half pea sized dot rubbed into some bread. they go nuts for bread.

I picked it up in the feed store. I just stated I had a horse that I just bought and needed a wormer for her. They clerk was very knowledgeable (about horses) and I patiently listened until she was through, purchased the wormer and left.

I called a fish store for Fish Zole and its not allowed to be sold in Canada, however, there is nothing stating that it cannot be bought and shipped to someone from another source, so there is a possibility that it can be purchased in the US and sent here.

Because people blame Cocci for every little flutter of a wing when birds get sick many dont understand what the disease really is.
Real cocci can strike just like what you are seeing. In fact it most often does act just like this.
Healthy birds who have a sudden outbreak and that damages the internal structures that causes them to bleed.
Hello,

please help diagnose this death, it may have been cocci or predator..............

I moved my coop with the last 2 birds of my flock about 10 days ago. we got hit a few times the last month by coyotes and lost a half a dozen. these last two were healthy layers, a White Leghorn and Golden Comet/ the Comet had sporadic blood spotting on the eggs and I always attributed that to some sort of straining. anyhow, I thought she was going broody cause she was hanging out in the nest box most all the time for the better part of about a week after the move and then laid one egg with blood spots, That was a Friday I think. Sat I checked them before leaving the house, really only looking for eggs. I vaguely remember seeing the dark bloody stole in the nest box, I really didn't know that's what it was. Didn't have a chance to check on them again until Sun morning. Found the Comet dead with a very difficult to understand condition of the intestines, they were on the ground under the coop and some innards still remained intact but had definitely been excreted (or pulled out??) at the cloaca.

There was blackish poop in the coop and the nest box she was in definitely had blood droppings in it, as well as the coop floor boards (my coop has an open air bottom made of pallets). She had no other wounds on her, but the WT Leghorn has blood on her shoulder and neck. I haven't been able to examine her to see if she is actually wounded. She may have just gotten blood on her if the Comet was above on a roost and was bleeding.

Originally I thought it to be a predator, here perhaps a weasel, the black tailed is in a lot of New Mexico. My wife had read that they can attack from the bottom and kill for sport, I just couldn't imagine the innards being pulled out like that and not eaten. Also, its hard to understand how they could or would have been excreted due to the cocci or other aliment.

thoughts, experiences??

thanks

Back
Top Bottom