Extreme Speckly Egg contest!!! Winner receives 2011 BYC calendar!!!

Wynette

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Sep 25, 2007
Michigan
Okay, peeps! I've been participating in this thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=408998&p=1

And it got me wondering...how many folks have chickens that lay speckled eggs? Specifically, EXTREMELY speckled - as in, lots and lots of speckles, BIG speckles, BLOTCHY eggs (dappled, splashed...whatever you call them)?

Post your pics, and include this information:

1) Breed of hen that layed egg
2) Age (or approx. age) of hen at the time the egg was laid
3) How often these types of eggs are laid by this particular hen (i.e., sometimes they lay speckled, sometimes solid - give as many particulars as you know)
4) Size of egg (peewee, small, medium, large, XL, Jumbo?)

If you have a picture of the hen that laid the egg, please include it!!

Contest is for chicken eggs only.

Contest will run through October - On November 1 (or shortly thereafter), winner will be announced.

I will judge along with Happy Chooks (Kelly) and Cherylcohen (Cheryl).

Alrighty, then...post away, and let me know if there are any questions!!

4439_pretty_egg_005.jpg

First sorry it's a really bad picture.
Breed: either form a BA, RIR, or BR, I'm leaning towards RIR or BR.
How often these types of eggs are laid: About every couple months some times more
Size: about a medium or large

Ooooh......that's a PRETTY speckly egg, Cat's C!

I know you guys aren't going to believe this, but when I got home tonight & checked nest boxes, I found a tan egg with WHITE speckles on it! I've never gotten one like that before! I can't post pics til Monday - my home computer is just way too old and slow to download pics, but I'll put a pic in the thread on Monday!

So.....seriously, ONE entrant thus far?
hit.gif

Quote:
Nice! Do you still have the hens?

Possibly, I unfortunately have had several raccoon attacks this summer and the past week in which I have lost 2 of the possible layers of the egg, one of my 2 RIRs and 1 of my 2 BRs.
sad.png

Here's my speckled Olive Egg!
big_smile.png

7664_hedwigs_egg_009.jpg

Laid by Hedwig and OE from sonew123.
6 mos. old

Last edited:
Quote:
Well, after seeing that gorgeous example my puny little speckles just don't seem so fabulous anymore.
tongue.png

Honestly that's just really cool... you'd think it was a turkey egg if you didn't know better SO many pretty freckles!

Oh! i have been saving the shells for Christmas decorations too! I have white spots on brown eggs, and brown spots on light brown eggs. I will see what is in the craft cartons...Oh. I really sound over the top don't I? I used to be normal-ish until I join this BYC thingie. Dunno.
hu.gif
(Life's more fun with chicken people!
cool.png
)
I will try to dig it all out for the contest.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom