EXTREMELY INJURED HEN: Please Help!!!

chicken19

Songster
Jul 16, 2015
Riding my horse
My Coop
My Coop
My hen was attacked by the other chickens. I didn't notice until it was too late. She is separated from them now but really injured. They pecked a deep cut in her neck and tried to peck her eyeball out. It looks really infected and was sealed shut with yellow goop. She is cut in a bunch of places, and her head is swollen and it looks like that eye is infected. Is there any chance she will survive? I can get her antibiotics but that might not help.
She barely drinks, doesn't eat and has been passing green diarrhea.
I love her so much so please help me!
I'll post photos later.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Not sure if you've received other feedback on this, but thought I'd throw in what I've seen in mine..

I don't know for sure about the eye, but If she has any open cuts, I've used a product called "hen healer" that seemed to work wonders. I've also used some children's pedialyte in their water to help provide them some electrolytes. Sometimes they are pretty stressed and the peace and quiet will help them quite a bit. Any ideas why the hens were picking on her? Was she behaving oddly?

If she had an illness, chickens have a certain "Pecking order" that is used to remove any weak hens from the flock. Also, VetRx is a really good antibiotic that I used on a lot of my own chickens, it works on everything. Do your best to keep your hen in warmth and quiet. Never use neosporin or anything with pain killer because its really deadly to them.

Hi @chicken19

How is your hen doing?

For the eye you can flush it with saline and remove any pus/dishcarge you see - apply an ophthalmic ointment like Terramycin or Vetericyn eye gel in the eye.

For the cuts/wounds - you can also flush them out with saline, diluted betadine and apply triple antibiotic ointment or Vetericyn. Trim away any feathers that are getting into the wounds/cuts so you can monitor and keep them cleaner.

Green poop can be an indication of infection, not eating and sometimes worms or coccidiosis - in your case, it's probably because she is not eating - but getting a gram stain would be a good idea to rule out infection. Do the best you can to get her hydrated - offer poultry vitamins in her water. Once she is hydrated well - then see if she will eat for you - offer her normal feed along with some chopped egg, tuna or meat like beef liver for extra protein.

Keep us posted.

She is doing better.
I cleaned her wounds with a weak Betadine solution, then put polysporin on them. Then I've been cleaning her eye with warm compresses and I will try to clean it with saline.
She was on electrolyte water for a while and that helped. She is eating again, and getting to be more active. I think the chickens attacked her because she has a broken toe so she looks different. I'm trying to track down something for that eye though as she still won't open it. My vet might have some eye gel or drops to give her.
She opened her eye slightly while I was cleaning it, and it looks like she might have actually lost that eye, as I can't see any eyeball in there, just yellow and white goo.

I'm glad to hear that she's eating and a bit more active.

If the eye is infected, then yellow and white goo may be all that you see - but the eye may still be in there- it's amazing how much pus can be in there covering up an eye. The pus will need to come out in order for it to start healing - you may need help cleaning it out, so if you do have vet care that is always best.

Sometimes, vet care is not available, so if you have a helper, swaddle her in a towel to gently confine her wings and legs (not too tight). Work the eye open, flush with saline or sterile water and see if the pus (goo) can be removed ( you may need to use a wetted qtip to work the pus out). You can usually find Vetericyn eye gel at Tractor Supply. Mine carries Terramycin eye ointment on occasion as well. The Vetericyn is usually in the dog section and the Terramycin is in the section with the antibiotics (it's a small box/tube) so you may have to ask for it or they may have it locked up somewhere. In a pinch, plain (original) Neosporin can be used in the eye, but if you can get an ophthalmic product, that would be better.

Thank you for the update - I hope she continues to improve.

Back
Top Bottom