Extremely Lethargic Hen

beppler3

Chirping
7 Years
May 8, 2012
My in-laws went and checked on our hens today and they called me and told me we have an extremely lethargic Rhode Island Red. She is under a year old. She was fine when I saw her last (2 days ago). They said that she was laying on the floor with her eyes closed, so they went over to her and picked her up and put her in one of the nest boxes where she stood for just a second and then went right back to sleep. They also mentioned she had some feathers missing. I assume that this is because the other birds were picking on her because she was sick?

We have 24 hens. None are roosters and it has been probably a month since we got any new birds. They have a timed light in the coop so I don't think there is any molting going on.

I have read a couple things that range from an impacted crop to just needing dewormed. We are separating her from the rest of the flock. Does anyone else have any thoughts? I'm worried about my poor girl!

There are a bazillion things this could be but the fact that you brought in new birds in the last few weeks combined with a sudden onset of lethargy would have me treating for coccidiosis so I could at least rule it out asap. Adult birds will often fight off a case of it for a while then suddenly get lethargic and die. I'd get some Corid, dose her directly since she's probably not drinking on her own. Also bring her in or put her in a hospital cage where you can monitor her, make sure she eats/drinks and keep an eye on her droppings. I'd start with that and go on from there if necessary.

There are a bazillion things this could be but the fact that you brought in new birds in the last few weeks combined with a sudden onset of lethargy would have me treating for coccidiosis so I could at least rule it out asap. Adult birds will often fight off a case of it for a while then suddenly get lethargic and die. I'd get some Corid, dose her directly since she's probably not drinking on her own. Also bring her in or put her in a hospital cage where you can monitor her, make sure she eats/drinks and keep an eye on her droppings. I'd start with that and go on from there if necessary.
goodpost.gif

They just sometimes stop out and care for them while we are at work because they enjoy them. Our farm is not our primary residence, someone is there every day regardless. All of the members of our family is very capable of administering care to animals.

My husband is a veterinarian and will take some Corid down for her in the next hour or so. We couldn't get a hold of him until the last few minutes (also his specialty is dairy cattle not chickens...so anything chicken related he has to do some research, I thought maybe the internet could pull something up faster). He's also going to take some dewormer down. He said we will treat the whole flock with Corid.

Thanks for all the help!

Is there any way he can bring her home with him so you can dose her frequently this first day or so? Put it in her water but also give it orally with a needless syringe as Enola said. Also to keep her warm and monitor her closely. If this is coccidiosis she'll need some extra attention at first until she starts eating/drinking well on her own. Otherwise it's likely she'll just sit there, not drink the medicated water and just continue to go downhill.

My husband is a veterinarian and will take some Corid down for her in the next hour or so. We couldn't get a hold of him until the last few minutes (also his specialty is dairy cattle not chickens...so anything chicken related he has to do some research, I thought maybe the internet could pull something up faster). He's also going to take some dewormer down. He said we will treat the whole flock with Corid. 

Thanks for all the help! 

Welcome to BYC!

Let him know that the severe outbreak dose for poultry is twice the dose for cattle.

20% powder is no less than 1.5 teaspoons (4.536 grams) per gallon for 5 days, then 1/3 teaspoon for 7-14 days.
9.6% liquid is 2 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days, then 1/2 teaspoon per gallon for 7-14 days.

One teaspoon powder weighs 2.7 grams to 3 grams.
The oral drench I give is 20mg/kg.

-Kathy

Disclaimer: I have no medical training, I'm just obsessed with weighing medications and calculating doses. :D

If you can get liquid Corid, it can be given orally with a needless syringe.

There are a bazillion things this could be but the fact that you brought in new birds in the last few weeks combined with a sudden onset of lethargy would have me treating for coccidiosis so I could at least rule it out asap.  Adult birds will often fight off a case of it for a while then suddenly get lethargic and die.  I'd get some Corid, dose her directly since she's probably not drinking on her own.   Also bring her in or put her in a hospital cage where you can monitor her, make sure she eats/drinks and keep an eye on her droppings.  I'd start with that and go on from there if necessary.

Is there any way he can bring her home with him so you can dose her frequently this first day or so?  Put it in her water but also give it orally with a needless syringe as Enola said.  Also to keep her warm and monitor her closely.  If this is coccidiosis she'll need some extra attention at first until she starts eating/drinking well on her own.  Otherwise it's likely she'll just sit there, not drink the medicated water and just continue to go downhill.

Ditto!

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom