Eye closed eyelid yellow?

leslielbk

Songster
7 Years
One of my speckled Sussex eye is closed. Her other eye seems fine but she is standing close to the fence with the good eye facing in toward the run. She can't get any of the treats I'm throwing because she can't see them. The other girls are chasing her away. How can I tell what's wrong?
The second photo is from above looking at the top of her head.

Attachments

• 20200214_163804.jpg
    20200214_163804.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200214_163748.jpg
    20200214_163748.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 5
When a chicken holds their eye closed like that, it indicates it hurts. It's not possible to tell if she injured it or if it's a bacterial infection, but you would treat them the same.

Flush the eye twice a day with saline wash, and then use an antibiotic ointment in the eye each time. Neosporin, Triple antibiotic ointment or terramycin eye ointment will all treat it. Do it for as long as it takes to restore the eye to normal.

You can give her a whole chewable 81 grain aspirin twice a day for the pain.

Does she have a bad odor around her beak? Swollen wattles, along with a swollen gunky eyelid, and thick nasal drainage, can be signs of infectious coryza, a bacterial respiratory disease. It can be treated with bactrim, SMZ-TMP, or Sulfadimethoxine. Here is where you may find sulfa antibiotics:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/medicox-100-g-medpet/

Nothing smelly, and so far her nostrils are clean. She doesn't seem to have breathing issues. Yet. I set her up in a dog crate with water and food. I tried to flush her eye but couldn't keep her still! I have some oflaxacin opthalmic solution from when my dog had an eye infection so I put a few drops on her eyelid. Her wattles are very warm. I applied a little silver sulfadiazine cream (again, for my dog) to one of them to see if it helps. She's not lethargic. Yet.
I can't get ahold of any of the antibiotics you mentioned soon enough, so to be safe I'm going to take her to a farm vet tomorrow. I've got to be sure what it is and if my other 12 hens are at risk, even if she can't be saved.
I'm discouraged and hope my whole flock isn't infected.

Last edited:
Doxyxycline dosage is 20-25 mg per pound daily for chickens. The packets in the link above are 100 mg. You can mix it into water or liquid and give it with a syringe slowly.

Tylosin dosage is 1 tsp (5grams) in each gallon of water or 1/4 tsp per liter. Give for 5 days. Only mix by pouring water into the powder, or it may not mix easily. Change solution every 3 days.

Back
Top Bottom