Songster
Mar 26, 2017
19C5EEF5-4059-470D-8891-7B5E79894A3D.jpeg
5BDC0C44-5FD3-4B5A-8738-F06B022868EC.jpeg
514E637C-D62C-452A-A2B7-989D07D2DAEB.jpeg
19512EC7-E520-48CA-B386-9C5658FD9E09.jpeg
19C5EEF5-4059-470D-8891-7B5E79894A3D.jpeg
5BDC0C44-5FD3-4B5A-8738-F06B022868EC.jpeg
I had a chick hatch on Saturday with two long feathers coming from the inside of the eyelid. It seemed to be fine but now the feathers are sticking to the eyeball and I can’t keep them back. It’s eye is goopy and a little puffy at this point. I will try to get an updated picture tonight, but I’ll post a few from hatch day. I’m going by TSC on my way home from work. Is there anything specific I can use on its eye for what I’m assuming is infection?

Attachments

• 14C2CA45-8F1B-497C-B113-DAF2B8D4867B.jpeg
    14C2CA45-8F1B-497C-B113-DAF2B8D4867B.jpeg
    321.3 KB · Views: 2
I've never seen that before. If it were mine I would pull those two feathers, you can use a pair of tweezers or needlenose pliers, or forceps to grab at the base and give a firm tug to remove them, and cross fingers they don't regrow. You can usually get Terramycin eye ointment at TSC, it's a small tube and may be locked up so you may have to ask for it, picture below. You can also use plain neosporin in the eye, either way I'd apply twice a day. I had a dog once that had eyelashes growing on the inside of the eyelid and they had to be removed surgically to keep them from growing back or she would have become blind eventually. If the feathers do grow back, you may have to go that route if it's an option. I'm going to tag some others to see if they've any other idea's or have seen this before.
@Wyorp Rock , @Eggcessive ,
Terramycin-800px.jpg

I've never seen that before. If it were mine I would pull those two feathers, you can use a pair of tweezers or needlenose pliers, or forceps to grab at the base and give a firm tug to remove them, and cross fingers they don't regrow. You can usually get Terramycin eye ointment at TSC, it's a small tube and may be locked up so you may have to ask for it, picture below. You can also use plain neosporin in the eye, either way I'd apply twice a day. I had a dog once that had eyelashes growing on the inside of the eyelid and they had to be removed surgically to keep them from growing back or she would have become blind eventually. If the feathers do grow back, you may have to go that route if it's an option. I'm going to tag some others to see if they've any other idea's or have seen this before.
@Wyorp Rock , @Eggcessive ,
View attachment 1796229
I’m going to try to tweeze them tonight, but there’s already more starting to grow in all along both eyes. I’m considering culling because I feel it will be in pain most of its life.

I recently needed to cull a nine week old chick. It's best to do it sooner than later when it involves a chick, or you will risk becoming emotionally involved, especially if you start to try to treat it. In other words, consider not only the well being of the chick, but yours, as well.

I pulled out one feather, but I can’t even find the second long one. When I went to pull it pulled the lid taut and these are attached way on the inside of the lid. The eye looks clean right now so I hope it stays that way

Back
Top Bottom