Eye goop, how do I get rid of it?

I figured out what it is. I looked closer at her eyes and there are a ton of tiny little bugs crawling around her eyes and I think a nest around her neck. I think they’re making the goop around her eyes. Is it mites? They’re tiny and round and I think red

Use a magnifier to see if they have 6 or 8 legs. And if they are long or more round. Do you see whites eggs at the base of feathers? Either way mites or lice can be treated with permethrin spray or garden dust. Use it once every 7-10 days at least twice. I would treat her quarters in your room, and change her bedding.

Use a magnifier to see if they have 6 or 8 legs. And if they are long or more round. Do you see whites eggs at the base of feathers? Either way mites or lice can be treated with permethrin spray or garden dust. Use it once every 7-10 days at least twice. I would treat her quarters in your room, and change her bedding.
I covered all my chickens and coop in diatomaceous earth but I know that wont get rid of them. She has been in my room, I’ll just have to clean out her cage. I are eggs all over her neck, they are all round as well, I saw one on my finger awhile ago

Now that I look closer it might be a mix of both? I saw a long one but there were round ones on my fingers. It’s hard to see the eggs now because the powder is white

Last edited:
I figured out what it is. I looked closer at her eyes and there are a ton of tiny little bugs crawlinaround her eyes. Is it mites?
Check and see if the mites and mite "dirt" are under her wings and around her vent. If they seem centered around her eyes it could be scaly face mite which is best treated with topical ivermectin.

Check and see if the mites and mite "dirt" are under her wings and around her vent. If they seem centered around her eyes it could be scaly face mite which is best treated with topical ivermectin.
What color is that? If it’s white I can’t tell now, the powder I covered her in is white and if it’s brown she’s a partridge silkie so it won’t show, they seem to be in her hair, her neck and her face im starting to think her paralyzed leg could be scaly leg mites? The bugs seem to be building stuff over her eyes and probably in her nose and that’s why she’s having trouble breathing

Last edited:
scaly face mites burrow under the scales of exposed skin, so you wouldn't actually see them, but the picture of your chickens eye made me think of them. You definitely seem to have some other mite problem but I think of most mites as hiding around the vent and under wings. I suppose if there are enough mites to be biting her face it could be causing the swelling around her eye.

scaly face mites burrow under the scales of exposed skin, so you wouldn't actually see them, but the picture of your chickens eye made me think of them. You definitely seem to have some other mite problem but I think of most mites as hiding around the vent and under wings. I suppose if there are enough mites to be biting her face it could be causing the swelling around her eye.
It seems four of my chickens are showing signs of it too, Cayenne and Garlic stopped laying and started “molting” and crow has been looking paler than usual and uncomfortable/stressed. I’ll give them all a check tomorrow after I clean out the barn. But good news! Someone I know had the treatment for her flock and will treat mine as well, doesn’t the treatment kill the eggs for 7-10 days and by then all the living lice die off? Since their life span is a week

If you're talking about using Ivermectin, I know a second dose in 10 days is recommended for worms, not sure about mites. Also be careful with ivermectin as it's toxic to birds in high doses (i.e. if you miscalculate the dosage you can kill your birds). I think your main problem is going to be killing the mites in the barn... They're good at hiding in all the cracks and wood joints and live a long time. Frequent treatment with permethrin or something might be necessary. Finally, a bad mite infestation as you seem to have can leave chickens anemic. If you can get them a vitamin supplement I would. Particularly for your silkie I think rooster booster would be more beneficial than the vetrx at this point.

If you're talking about using Ivermectin, I know a second dose in 10 days is recommended for worms, not sure about mites. Also be careful with ivermectin as it's toxic to birds in high doses (i.e. if you miscalculate the dosage you can kill your birds). I think your main problem is going to be killing the mites in the barn... They're good at hiding in all the cracks and wood joints and live a long time. Frequent treatment with permethrin or something might be necessary. Finally, a bad mite infestation as you seem to have can leave chickens anemic. If you can get them a vitamin supplement I would. Particularly for your silkie I think rooster booster would be more beneficial than the vetrx at this point.
I don’t think that’s what it is, I think it’s permethrin? I heard it needed to be used for 7-10 days
its from someone who is a chicken breeder and her flock also has lice so it’s a treatment for lice and mites, the defuser is helping now that I know what remedy to put in it, it’s a cat and dog flea killing thing but works on chickens lice too and I think I found the source of the lice too, my girls are mad at me for their dust bath last night but it should help the ones who haven’t gotten it yet, they’ll all still get the treatment since my rooster probably got it from one of my hens and moved it throughout the flock and the only one he’s scared of sleeps next to the ones that have lost their egg laying and feathers to lice so she most likely has it too.

Do silkies not molt when they get lice? That’s something I noticed, cause garlic and cayenne are losing all their feathers but Carol hasn’t lost any yet

Ok, permethrin is the usual treatment and a chicken breeder probably knows better than I do how best to treat mites.

As for Carol if she's under a year she might not molt the first winter. Otherwise being in your room could have thrown her off a bit. Normally shorter days and colder weather trigger molting.

Back
Top Bottom