Eye infection!? Ear & side of head very swollen, please help!

Chicken Chickita

Songster
10 Years
Jun 1, 2010
Middleboro, MA
My 9-month old polish hen, Mavis, has a huge swollen area on the right side of her face. Her eye is swollen hurt and red. The eye appears to be oozing clear liquid. It has only been there today. It looks like a big swollen infection. She's also behaving a little less active than usual. I would very much appreciate any advice anyone has. I've very worried about her.

Last edited:
IF in fact it is an eye infection, I believe there are antibiotic eye drops(Terramyacin, I THINK).
If it is being cause by a respiratory illness(which is possible) I would put a water soluble antibiotic into their drinking water.
Good luck to you!

I wish I did. I've never bought them so I have no clue. Sorry.
Make a new post in this section asking if anyone knows where to buy them-someone surely will!

Justanswer.com vet advised me to use Tylan which I ordered online for $50. It worked right away and was worth it. You can also press on the side of the eye sometimes and the infection will come out. It's gross and you need a kleenex to do it with. But the chicken felt much better right away.

Quote:
My feed store carries this. It's not drops, it's a small tube of ointment. You can smear it gently on the closed eye and some will get in.

Thanks everyone! I'll look into using Tylan and probably order some. Also, I searched for "ointment" instead of drops and found that the feed store carries terramycin eye ointment. Thanks for the helping with the terminology! Wish me luck! Any additional advice is also still very very much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom