Chickenunsernam

Chirping
Jan 16, 2017
Hello everyone!

So my rooster Francis (the rooster on my profile except he's all grown up and fabulous now) got attacked by two puppies we had (I gave them away) and he got some neck injuries.

Now he was recovering from that and he started eating and drinking on his own again until one of my silkie roosters, Tito (who I'm also planning on giving away because he LOVES fighting with EVERYONE!) attacked him AGAIN and itone of his eyes got injuried.

Now the thing is that there is this yellow um...thing coming out of that eye now and though I have him on antibiotics and painkillers and electrolytes and he's eating more and drinking on his own-- I have no idea what to do with this!
20181208_081352.jpg

There is this cloudy liquid that comes out of his eye every once in a while and today I tried cleaning it and I noticed that the yellow mass moved and I noticed a hole, like a gap between the mass and his eye. I'm wondering if it's like dried pus or something and I need to remove it. His face was swollen but today was less swollen.

But I'm really scared of moving it because it tires him out and he leans in to sleep so I know it's painful for him. What do you guys recommend? Anyone else having any experiences with something like this?

:barnie:barnie:barnie:barnie:confused::confused:

It looks like the eye has pus and is infected. I would rinse the eye with saline, and do a warm wet compress a couple of times a day. Each time, clean it out with cotton or gauze. Apply an 1/8 th of an inchTerramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin ointment twice a day into the eye. Does he have any signs of a respiratory infection? Since he cannot see well, mix him some wet chicken feed and some chopped egg, and hold it up to his beak to eat. Also offer him water often.

It looks like the eye has pus and is infected. I would rinse the eye with saline, and do a warm wet compress a couple of times a day. Each time, clean it out with cotton or gauze. Apply an 1/8 th of an inchTerramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin ointment twice a day into the eye. Does he have any signs of a respiratory infection? Since he cannot see well, mix him some wet chicken feed and some chopped egg, and hold it up to his beak to eat. Also offer him water often.

Thanks for responding so quickly!

This is great because I have teramycin and can do the compress.

He shows no signs of respiratory infection (phew.) I try to make like 'mush' for him too, like bananas, and oatmeal since he's always been a big eater and he drinks too which is great.

What do you think I should do with the pus already there? should I tear it off or do you think it will go down on its own?

Again-- thanks!

I would try to remove the pus after softening it with the soaking and saline.

Hey sorry for not updating earlier, but I did what you said and the pus came off- he scratched it off after I managed to soften it with the saline. Today it had pus again but it was easier to clean and he's eating and drinkingon his own! and he even started crowing aagain so I will take those to be really great signs!

Thanks so much- I'm reallly happy :wee

That is good news, and glad that he has responded to the eye treatment. I would clean his eye at least bonce a day, and apply the Terramycin twice a day.

Back
Top Bottom