Eye injury- was she pecked? What can I do?

Yes I did look into it, but I was told it’s not possible to get Terramycin without a perscription anymore. I’ll leave for work early and stop by Tsc for the heck of it just to see what’ll happen.
I can order it online from Amazon and receive it tomorrow. NJ tends to be one of the more restrictive states for pet meds without an rx, so if I can get it, most other states probably can.

Oooh ok I’ll have to look into that. Could I still use the ointment I have though? I don’t want to hurt her but just thinking while I have it

The ointment picture is the same as triple antibiotic or Neosporin with some prednisolone that is antinflammatory. That can be used in my opinion. It would probably be what a vet would prescribe for your chicken with an injured eye. Rinse the eye with saline or an eyewash such as Bausch and Lomb Eye Relief before applying the ointment or drops 2-3 times per day. Find that at Walmart or a drugstore in the eye drops aisle. The eye may be blinded or has a corneal abrasion. If vet care is available that would be helpful.

Got the Terramycin. I do belive she is blind, we did several sight tests and she had no response on that side, she was standing in the run and I wheeled back and swung my hand forward as hard as I could as if I was going to hit her, and she didn’t flinch or blink or anything, on the other side she cackled and squabbled and ran 😞

Got the Terramycin. I do belive she is blind, we did several sight tests and she had no response on that side, she was standing in the run and I wheeled back and swung my hand forward as hard as I could as if I was going to hit her, and she didn’t flinch or blink or anything, on the other side she cackled and squabbled and ran 😞
Oh no, I’m so sorry. :hugs

Hopefully, it will heal some. She may be blind in the eye, but chickens who are blind may do well with sight in only one eye. They can still see light and dark, and can make out shapes which helps them to avoid objects, or to find feeders. Let us know how she gets along, and later pictures of healing might be helpful to others in the future reading this thread.

Hopefully, it will heal some. She may be blind in the eye, but chickens who are blind may do well with sight in only one eye. They can still see light and dark, and can make out shapes which helps them to avoid objects, or to find feeders. Let us know how she gets along, and later pictures of healing might be helpful to others in the future reading this thread.
Will do! She seems to get along well, she is clearly still adjusting, and bumping into a few things, but she seems to be smart enough to turn her head to look with her good eye before moving forward most of the time. She follows the other birds around usually if they are all running in one direction etc.

I’ve been applying the Terramycin twice a day, but I guess i didn’t see anything that said how often to apply it. So how often should I apply it? She definitely still seems blind in that eye, and the eye is a bit of a lighter color due to a fogginess in it now, but she’s getting along fine. Still a bit clumsy but adjusting well

Back
Top Bottom