Eye injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lakones, Mar 13, 2017.

1. lakones

lakones Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Zachary, LA
    I've got a gen whose eye was damaged Thursday by a rooster. The wound has healed, it was right above the eye, but the eye lid remains closed. Is there a chance the eye one day open up?
    [​IMG]

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Sure!! Give it some time----if the pupil did not get damaged---she should be OK.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Have you tried to open her eye and look into it? She might respond to some lubricating eye drops, such as Systane. You could try a warm wet compress to her eye to soothe it. It could be damaged or have some infection, but hopefully not. Let us know what you find.

4. lakones

Sep 14, 2014
    Zachary, LA
    i have not messed with it, was giving it a chance to heal. I saw when it happen and separated her immediately. She's in a crate in the shop for now. I'll check it out better tomorrow. Tks guys.

5. lakones

Sep 14, 2014
    Zachary, LA
    I was able to open the eye lid for her and the eye itself seems fine. Hopefully she'll make a full recovery. In the mean time I put her in a coop with some 10 wk olds and they are getting along well.

6. lakones

Sep 14, 2014
    Zachary, LA
    The eye is now open but has a slight film over it. The film is almost clear, just a hint of white color. Infection or just the bodies way of protecting the eye?

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Hard to know without a picture. You may want to google " nictitating membrane in chickens" to see if the film is actually the third eyelid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by