Eye injury

lakones

Songster
5 Years
Sep 14, 2014
Zachary, LA
I've got a gen whose eye was damaged Thursday by a rooster. The wound has healed, it was right above the eye, but the eye lid remains closed. Is there a chance the eye one day open up?

I've got a gen whose eye was damaged Thursday by a rooster. The wound has healed, it was right above the eye, but the eye lid remains closed. Is there a chance the eye one day open up?
Sure!! Give it some time----if the pupil did not get damaged---she should be OK.

Have you tried to open her eye and look into it? She might respond to some lubricating eye drops, such as Systane. You could try a warm wet compress to her eye to soothe it. It could be damaged or have some infection, but hopefully not. Let us know what you find.

i have not messed with it, was giving it a chance to heal. I saw when it happen and separated her immediately. She's in a crate in the shop for now. I'll check it out better tomorrow. Tks guys.

I was able to open the eye lid for her and the eye itself seems fine. Hopefully she'll make a full recovery. In the mean time I put her in a coop with some 10 wk olds and they are getting along well.

The eye is now open but has a slight film over it. The film is almost clear, just a hint of white color. Infection or just the bodies way of protecting the eye?

Hard to know without a picture. You may want to google " nictitating membrane in chickens" to see if the film is actually the third eyelid.

Back
Top Bottom