Eye Injury?

Blueclipse

Hatching
Jul 9, 2020
I've been a chicken owner for all of 6 days! I adopted 3 grown hens from a rescue, and I love them already.
My gal, Ginger was squinting and holding her eye shut yesterday. I picked her up to get a look and there was a small, brownish spec in her eye. Today, I was able to get a picture of it. It's no longer dark, but a white spot... like it was a scab and it fell off? Not that eyeballs can scab... but I'm not sure what to do. Being new to this and. All.

Attachments

• 20200709_160445.jpg
    20200709_160445.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 9
:welcomeI would probably wait a few days and see how it goes. I've had a rooster that was attacked by another rooster earlier this year and his eye was really bad. The actual eyeball was a brownish color and it was very droopy. I was nursing him back to health and I thought he would be permanently blind in that eye, but a couple weeks later his eye looked healthy and he was seeing fine. Chickens are very resilient animals, that doesn't mean they don't need attention to wounds and things like that. Your chicken may have just been pecked in the eye and is getting over it. Keep an eye on it and see how her vision is and if it's been getting worse. My guess is she'll be OK! Hope this helps!:)

It might be a scratched cornea or an infection, but a vet could be more help. An antibiotic drop or ointment probably should be used for awhile. If you have a vet who you have a good relationship with, they might prescribe something like Ciprofloxacin or Neosporin with Decadron (NeoDecadron.) At present you could get Terramycin eye ointment from the feed store or use plain Neosporin, but the ones

Back
Top Bottom