Help! Hen with possible eye infection!

HennyTwoShoes

Hatching
Oct 20, 2023
My 2 year old Hen has been lethargic, not interested in eating much, and all around just not herself. One of her eyes is perfectly fine and the other eye is red, swollen, and stays at least half way shut at all times. I do not believe this to be an injury as she is rarely interacting with the other hens. Any and all help would be great!!!

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_6132.jpeg
    IMG_6132.jpeg
    492.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6126.jpeg
    IMG_6126.jpeg
    510.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6125.jpeg
    IMG_6125.jpeg
    491.5 KB · Views: 11
I agree the eye looks like she has been pecked or maybe is injuring it by scratching. How does the eye look inside? Is it the same as the other eye? Any pus or eye bubbles? I agree with cleaning it by flushing with saline or eye wash, and then using Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin into the eye twice a day. Watch to see that others don’t peck her.

I'd check in her ears for infection. Most of the time issues with the eyes stem from an ear infection.

Can you try to get her eating a mash of watery chicken feed, adding some bits of scrambled egg? Since her eye is bothering her, she may not be getting much to eat which would lead to weakness. Is her eye any better today? What is your general location in the world? Sometimes that helps us to give better advice.

Back
Top Bottom