Eye issues

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by katharbour, May 19, 2019.

1. katharbour

katharbour In the Brooder

Feb 5, 2017
    Our wonderful rooster is having an eye issue. His one eye is swollen shut and we have been treating with ophthalmologic ointment and pink eye spray. We also have been giving him Amoxicillin. He seemed to perk up but his eye issue remains. Please see pic attached. Thanks for any help. IMG_0438.jpg IMG_0439.jpg

2. MilesFluffybutt

MilesFluffybutt Songster

Nov 16, 2016
    Vermont
    His nasal area looks a little crusty. Is that food, medicine or a runny nose?

3. katharbour

katharbour In the Brooder

Feb 5, 2017
    It's a runny nose, he was showing signs of resp issues and we added garlic apple cider vinegar and vitamins to water and he perked up. The eye issue tho did not resolve. Do you think it's related to his runny nose?

4. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

Have you checked him well for mites and lice? Sometimes their activity will mess with their eyes, especially if coupled with other conditions.:)

5. MilesFluffybutt

MilesFluffybutt Songster

Nov 16, 2016
    Vermont
    It seems to me the issues are related. Perhaps his respiratory issues haven't fully resolved. Like, he's on the tail end of it. I'm not an expert by any means - I'm just going with what I've seen in my own flock.

Have you been able to look at the eye itself?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: