eye lid won't open after fox attack - update

chickychicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
Denver, CO
A fox attacked our flock this morning. Two of our girls died and I am treating another with a lower back bite. One of our girls does not appear to be injured but has one eyelid that doesn't seem to work. Her other eye is fine. Her eye looks fine underneath the lid when I lift it open. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I am wondering if it will heal or might she be that way for here on out. Right now the two that are in the coop are still traumatized and I have the other one separated. Ugh. darn city fox.

Here is a picture:
59353_photo-5.jpg

Last edited:
I had that happen to a bantam rooster of mine - he wouldn't open either eye for a few days, I think it is kind of equivalent to shock. Eventually it took about four days, but he opened them and now he is back to normal. He also had a nasty neck wound that I treated with Neosporin and kept him isolated for about two weeks. It's just basically a very slow process to come out of shock. He reacted to noise, but wouldn't open his eyes.

She may have a small scratch that you can't see. If that is the case, it's painful enough that she doesn't want to open it.
If the eye truly is fine, she may just have some nerve damage to the lid. I had a raccoon attack one of my Barnevelder hens this spring. The globe (eyeball) was fine,but she wouldn't open up her eye. That was back in May and she still holds that eye closed.

Update: it is now Friday and this morning her eye was almost fully open. It will be interesting to see if it is open later today. I think as the day progresses it slowly closes and then after a night of rest she can open it again.

Back
Top Bottom