Eye loss - what is the natural process?

math ace

Crowing
10 Years
Dec 17, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
I have a chicken with an eye issue. It is not a disease. I think it is the result of an eye injury.

I have had her in isolation and on oral antibiotics (Erythromycin) for a week.
I have been applying terramycin ointment 2 x a day to her eye.
I am not seeing any change in her status.

She eats and drinks and holds her head normally.
Yet, the eye remains closed or when she opens it there is this cream color substance covering the eye.
Twice, while applying the Terramycian, I have had this huge solid mass, resembling a piece of scrambled egg, pop out of her eye. The mass is about 1/2" x 1/2". I think she is losing her eye.

I don't know if this solid mass is part of the natural process of losing the eye or if it is infection that is not responding to the current treatment plan. What do you think ? When a bird is losing their eye due to an injury, what happens?

This is what the last solid mass looked like...

I have a hen that has the same problem one eye is gone still treating the other butt she is completely blind was told it was eye worms

Not Eye worms... Switched to Tylan 50 and it cleared right up.

She has lost some vision in the eye, but the she can still see something out of the eye.
As soon as the eye healed, she went broody!
Since she was separated from the flock and being babied anyways, I figure what the heck.
I let her have some eggs and she hatched 2 chicks.
They are a few weeks old and she has been a great mommy.

OBTW, I suspect that the eye injury was originally the result of a hen pecking her in the eye because she wouldn't get out of the laying box....ie... she was broody to start off with!

Back
Top Bottom