Eye swollen shut and very lethargic!

athenasnow

Chirping
Apr 28, 2020
One of my girls today has been very lethargic and one eye is bothering her. I saw her open it for a sec and it didn't seem red or anything. Just put an apron on her yesterday because she's been bullied and missing feathers. Wondering if she could have been pecked or scratched because she's lower in the pecking order? I've got her isolated in case it's an infection and made some saline solution to wash it out, just waiting for it to not be hot anymore. She's usually not one to sit in my lap, but she's just cozied up on me and seems distressed.

Attachments

• IMG_20200524_142539.jpg
    IMG_20200524_142539.jpg
    454.7 KB · Views: 9
It could be that she was pecked in her eye, but a swollen eye can also be a sign of respiratory disease. Look inside her eye for any bubbles, foam, or gunk. Drainage can turn yellow and crusty around the eye. Terramycin Eye Ointment from a feed store is good to apply in the eye 2-3 times a day for conjunctivitis. Look for any sneezing, nasal drainage, or rattly breathing.

I don't see any goop around the eyes or nostrils, or sign of injury. Gonna keep monitoring her for breathing issues. Haven't seen her eat anything today. Wondering if she's gotten really stressed and is weak from not eating?

And while you're at it, feed her some scrambled eggs and add some vitamins to the water. Being bullied and lowest in the pecking order might lead to additional stress and malnourishment.

Yes she could be weak, and either not see well enough to get to food or is being kept from it. I would take her aside, and feed her some wet chicken feed with some extras twice a day. Scrambled egg, tuna, or canned cat food can be scattered to entice her to eat. Water is most important.

Kinda gross but... Here's the first poop she's done that I've noticed today. Doesn't look awesome

Attachments

• IMG_20200524_172357.jpg
    IMG_20200524_172357.jpg
    811.3 KB · Views: 5
This poop would have me deworm her thoroughly for 5-7 consecutive days and treat her for coccidiosis while contiuously feeding her scrambled eggs with oatmeal every day.

There is some reddish dropping that looks off. Can you get to a feed store and purchase some Corid to treat for possible coccidiosis? Dosage is 2 tsp (10 ml) of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. You can also give some undiluted Corid orally 0.1 ml per pound twice daily for a boost.

There's a feed store nearby where I can grab some stuff. If she has worms, should I treat the rest of the flock too? They all seem fine though and I did a look around at some of the other poo around the run and coop and nothing looked weird.

Back
Top Bottom