eyes closed and foaming, mouth foam, lethargy, bloody sputum

sdue

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 16, 2009
My pullet has been sick for two weeks. I've isolated her and none of the others have been infected. She has a bad odor too. Could this be coryza? It's weird because she's 7 months old and came down with this. My flock has had no exposure to any other birds or any people who have chickens. In three years of buying chicks and keeping a backyard flock of 6, I've never had a sick bird. What else could it be? She hasn't eaten or taken water for over two weeks and rarely poops anymore, but at first it was very watery stool. I didn't think she'd last this long, but still hangs on. Any advice?

Thanks for answering. No cheesy plaques in the mouth. From the APA respiratory diseases site, it looks like LT. That's the only disease that mentions "blood-tinged exudates" and I see traces of blood on the walls in her pen, but don't know where it's coming from. That disease says 7-14 days and she has been sick for more than 14. Also, coryza is the only disease that mentions a foul odor, and that is definitely present. So it could be either, or something else. Anyone have any experience with blood tinged "exudates"? Want to vaccinate the rest of the flock, but should have a more accurate dx first.

Thanks for answering. No cheesy plaques in the mouth. From the APA respiratory diseases site, it looks like LT. That's the only disease that mentions "blood-tinged exudates" and I see traces of blood on the walls in her pen, but don't know where it's coming from. That disease says 7-14 days and she has been sick for more than 14. Also, coryza is the only disease that mentions a foul odor, and that is definitely present. So it could be either, or something else. Anyone have any experience with blood tinged "exudates"? Want to vaccinate the rest of the flock, but should have a more accurate dx first.

Necropsy is a possibility for diagnosis of anything, but unfortunately means the bird would be culled. You can contact your state vet or county extension agent to find out how to get one done if needed.

Here is another website - diagnosis charts at bottom:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I feel bad for your girl. Unfortunately I don't have experience with this problem and so can't really be of help other than pointing out some links on the web.

Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Last edited:
Thank you. Just saw this morning that one of my other birds has the very red eyes (around the pupil) that the very sick one has. Whatever it is, looks like it's spreading. Might have to cull the whole flock, clean, disinfect, and start fresh :( What about those very red eyes--does that give a clue? Internet searches bring up nothing.

Back
Top Bottom