Fabulous feathered silkies! Don't buy from her!

MartaKuz

Songster
Mar 27, 2021
Hi everyone so I saw a thread in here from a few years ago and there was no way to continue on it but wanted to give you an update as I have just had an experience with fabulous feathered silkies lady her name is Dawne.
She sold me five chicks I'm new to all of this, they were immediately sick and two of them died. I didn't see any dead chicks when I was there but I did notice that she had all of her chickens screwdrivered into coops where she had to get a screw gun and unscrew the actual coops just to let them out and they all ran as fast as they could towards a bottle of water she turned on the hose and they just drank frantically. My guess is that they never come out of those coops there were hundreds of them running around everywhere. I felt like I was in a puppy mill but for chickens. I bought five chickens from her at $20 a piece. Three of them are still alive and probably will make it I don't know what they had but it's some sort of respiratory issue. I fear that I will never be able to put them with my flock because I don't know what they have and haven't got the money right now to take them to a vet to find out. So although they will live, I'm not sure what they have, if they are carriers, etc so it sucks for them to have to live separately and for me too. I wanted them as part of my flock. She text me out of the blue and asked me weird questions and I text her back and told her not to contact me ever again and that two of the chicks had died and she said she had never ever sold a sick chick and that I should have come to her immediately and why did I wait so long? I said I wasn't even going to tell you I just don't want anything to do with you don't contact me again. I also talked to an amazing lady who's very reputable and she helped me out a lot with this situation she was very sweet and very nice and cautioned me and told me what to look for so now I have a better idea as to how to handle situations like this. Does anyone who is reading this think I should turn her in for my experience, given there were so many other people on the previous thread in 2019 and 18 that had the same issue with her and she's obviously still doing it? If so just tell me who I'm supposed to call and what I'm supposed to say I do have some pictures. Please don't buy anything from fabulous feathered silkies!

I see you already found this thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/fabulously-feathered-silkies.1272845/

Someone had a necropsy done on the chicks they got that died and they came back positive for coryza, infectious bronchitis, and BOTH mycoplasma species.

I hate to say it but I would cull these chicks before you get your whole flock sick. These are not diseases that can ever be cured so if they make it into your flock, that's it.

I see you already found this thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/fabulously-feathered-silkies.1272845/

Someone had a necropsy done on the chicks they got that died and they came back positive for coryza, infectious bronchitis, and BOTH mycoplasma species.

I hate to say it but I would cull these chicks before you get your whole flock sick. These are not diseases that can ever be cured so if they make it into your flock, that's it.
Crap. Are you serious I don’t know if I can do that. I’ve never done that before. That’s so sad they are so cute. Maybe I should spend the money to take them to the vet to be sure? Would I need to take all three?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 8
Hi everyone so I saw a thread in here from a few years ago and there was no way to continue on it but wanted to give you an update as I have just had an experience with fabulous feathered silkies lady her name is Dawne.
She sold me five chicks I'm new to all of this, they were immediately sick and two of them died. I didn't see any dead chicks when I was there but I did notice that she had all of her chickens screwdrivered into coops where she had to get a screw gun and unscrew the actual coops just to let them out and they all ran as fast as they could towards a bottle of water she turned on the hose and they just drank frantically. My guess is that they never come out of those coops there were hundreds of them running around everywhere. I felt like I was in a puppy mill but for chickens. I bought five chickens from her at $20 a piece. Three of them are still alive and probably will make it I don't know what they had but it's some sort of respiratory issue. I fear that I will never be able to put them with my flock because I don't know what they have and haven't got the money right now to take them to a vet to find out. So although they will live, I'm not sure what they have, if they are carriers, etc so it sucks for them to have to live separately and for me too. I wanted them as part of my flock. She text me out of the blue and asked me weird questions and I text her back and told her not to contact me ever again and that two of the chicks had died and she said she had never ever sold a sick chick and that I should have come to her immediately and why did I wait so long? I said I wasn't even going to tell you I just don't want anything to do with you don't contact me again. I also talked to an amazing lady who's very reputable and she helped me out a lot with this situation she was very sweet and very nice and cautioned me and told me what to look for so now I have a better idea as to how to handle situations like this. Does anyone who is reading this think I should turn her in for my experience, given there were so many other people on the previous thread in 2019 and 18 that had the same issue with her and she's obviously still doing it? If so just tell me who I'm supposed to call and what I'm supposed to say I do have some pictures. Please don't buy anything from fabulous feathered silkies!
An update for anybody who is interested. I called Lathrop county animal control and turned her in.
I left a review on Google. I left a review on Facebook. Had one of her chickens tested vet said he has ACINITOBACTER and everything else they found was just natural contaminants found in soil. Which is weird because I'm so paranoid that the chicken runs on the coop are so clean all the time. She's going to give me a series of two antibiotics to give to all 25 chickens and then we will test the original chicken one more time after that and hopefully I will have saved my flock and everything will be fine. Again I'm a newbie to all of this so if anyone has any suggestions or comments that could help in this situation I'm really trying to save my flock.

She also gave me a round of ivermectin in case it might be gapeworm since some of them are still gaping a bit

Ok. Vet says still waiting on final test results.... Started giving them the antibiotics and ivermectin... Other that begging scorching got here... They seem to be doing much better!

I know I posted this thread a while ago. Since then I've had several phone calls of others who have bought from her and have gotten sick chicks as well. It's just the saddest situation. Please if there is anybody else out there please please turn her in. She has to stop doing what she's doing. The conditions are deplorable it's major abuse of those poor silkies.
So I never told everyone the results of all the testing and my flock. I did all the antibiotics and the ivermectin and The chicks that I got from her retested And they all retested negative. They basically were in quarantine for about 6 months because I was completely paranoid I was going to lose my entire flock! I literally basically took my coops and my runs apart and sanitized everything to additional times and then put everything back together.
They have reintegrated and now that it's August of 2022 my flocks are very healthy and I've had no issues. But if I hadn't read through advice on backyard chickens and other people who were calling me about this particular person, I literally would have had to cull my entire flock. So thank you very much for all your support and your help.!

Back
Top Bottom