Face is swollen, oozing, and smelly. Rampant infection? *pg 2 new pics

Most vets don't treat chickens. But there probably is some sort of expensive test if you went to the right place. Maybe a university vet . Your friend aren't very good friends if they don't want to associate with you because your chicken is sick. Disease happens. Could even come from wild birds, I think.

Wild animals have all kinds of really nasty bacteria in their mouths and claws, I would think infection would cause those symptoms too, especially so close to the head area and could be fairly deep. I hope it's nothing contagious and that he has a speedy recovery for you.

It seems that Coryza is a general term (see below). It occurred to me that maybe he's been a carrier all along, it's just that the attack and exposure caused it to present itself. I'm not sure but I'm wondering if the Sulmet and Tetracycline is the route to go. Anyway check this out it's a good description of symptoms, treatment, etc.:

"Synonyms:
Coryza is a term used for any disease that causes sinusitis and running eyes. The list is long and included infectious Bronchitis, Vitamin A deficiency (Roup), Infectious Coryza, Mycoplasma, and physical irritation (ammonia, dust, excessive moisture, etc)"

http://fowlfacts.proboards.com/inde...ndiseaseff&action=display&thread=1301Synonyms:

The gist I gleaned somewhere was that they could be carriers but not always contageous.

That last link now screwed up? Let me post again:

http://fowlfacts.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=afflictiondiseaseff&action=display&thread=1301

INFECTIOUS CORYZA

Haemophilus paragallinarum (gram negative, catalase negative bacterial rod).

Reference:
http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/dissymp.htm
http://www.welphatchery.com/index.asp
http://www.welphatchery.com/poultry_care.asp
http://www.welphatchery.com/poultry_health.asp
http://www.angelfire.com/med3/poultrylovers

Synonyms:
Coryza is a term used for any disease that causes sinusitis and running eyes. The list is long and included infectious Bronchitis, Vitamin A deficiency (Roup), Infectious Coryza, Mycoplasma, and physical irritation (ammonia, dust, excessive moisture, etc)

Species affected:
Chickens, pheasants, and guinea fowl are the most common species affected by this disease
It is also common in game chicken flocks

Culture growth requirements
Requires V factor (nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide) for growth in culture medium. Satellitism with Staph nurse colonies.

Description
It is a serious avian respiratory disease.
Primarily affects chickens (especially pullets and layers, occasionally broilers).
Susceptibility increases with age.

Transmission:
Direct contact, aerosolization, and ingestion (drinking water). Reservoir = chronically ill or healthy carrier birds.
Coryza is primarily transmitted by direct bird-to-bird contact. This can be from infected birds brought into the flock as well as from birds which recover from the disease which remain carriers of the organism and may shed intermittently throughout their lives.
Birds risk exposure at poultry shows, bird swaps, and live-bird sales.
Inapparent infected adult birds added into a flock are a common source for outbreaks.
Within a flock, inhalation of airborne respiratory droplets, and contamination of feed and/or water are common modes of spread.

Clinical signs:
Malodorous mucoid nasal discharge, sneezing, conjunctivitis, facial swelling, decreased egg production, and diarrhea.
Mild form (young Leghorns or broilers): Depression, serous nasal discharge, occasional slight facial swelling).
Severe form (young adult Leghorns or heavy breeders): Severe swelling of one or both infraorbital sinuses with edema of surrounding tissue (may close one or both eyes). Especially in males, may see edema extending to the intermandibular space and wattles.

Clinical Signs:
Continual nasal discharge
Swelling around the face
Labored breathing and rales (rattles – an abnormal breathing sound)
Sneezing
Conjunctivitis – eyelids are irritated and may be stuck together
Smelly nasal discharge (mild form)
Decreased egg production
Diarrhea, and growing birds may become stunted
Depression (mild form)
Occasional slight facial swelling (mild form only)
Severe facial sinus swelling (severe form only)
Swollen eye with discharge (severe form only)
Swollen mandible and wattle area (severe form only)
Birds often show stained wings where they repeatedly wipe their eyes

Occurrence
This disease usually occurs when there is cold weather, (change of seasons is a high risk time) dusty conditions and in high pollen seasons

Mortality:
Mortality from coryza is usually low, but infections can decrease egg production and increase the incidence and/or severity of other diseases. Mortality can be as high as 50 percent, but is usually no more than 20 percent. The clinical disease can last from a few days to 2-3 months, depending on the virulence of the pathogen and the existence of other infections such as mycoplasmosis

Necropsy:
Copious, tenacious, grayish, semifluid exudate in the sinuses (may become consolidated/yellowish with time and secondary infection).

Diagnosis:
Clinical signs and culture conditions (see above). Antibodies are detectable 2-3 weeks after infection (agglutination, HI, etc).
DDx: Fowl cholera especially. Also mycoplasmosis, laryngotracheitis, Newcastle, infectious bronchitis, avian influenza, and vitamin A deficiency.

Treatment:
Water soluble antibiotics or antibacterials can be used. Sulfadimethoxine (Albon
00ae.png
, Di-MethoxTM) is the preferred treatment. If it is not available, or not effective, sulfamethazine (Sulfa-Max
00ae.png
, SulfaSureTM), erythromycin (gallimycin
00ae.png
), or tetracycline (Aureomycin
00ae.png
) can be used as alternative treatments. Sulfa drugs are not FDA approved for pullets older than 14 weeks of age or for commercial layer hens. While antibiotics can be effective in reducing clinical disease, they do not eliminate carrier birds.
Antibiotic Name = Tetravet 100 (recommended by Camden Poultry Centre)
Erythromycin, oxytetracycline, fluoroquinolones, macrolides. Use medication in water while waiting for medicated feed to be formulated.
May see relapses when discontinue antibiotics.
Antibiotics are used to cure this disease, however recovered birds remain carriers and will become continually reinfected. Some breeds and strains of chickens seem to be more susceptible than others.
Symptoms have a rapid onset usually lasting 1-3 days
Protozoan diseases

Prevention:
Bacterins are available to help prevent and control the disease.
Has been essentially eradicated from commercial poultry in the USA (via “all in/all out”).
Good management and sanitation are the best ways to avoid infectious coryza. Most outbreaks occur as a result of mixing flocks. All replacement birds on "coryza-endemic" farms should be vaccinated. The vaccine (Coryza-Vac) is administered subcutaneously (under the skin) on the back of the neck. Each chicken should be vaccinated four times, starting at 5 weeks of age with at least 4 weeks between injections. Vaccinate again at 10 months of age and twice yearly thereafter

Infectious Coryza is an acute, sometimes chronic respiratory disease. Avoid its introduction by isolating flocks and by introducing all poultry at the one time, not allowing further introductions until all those birds have left (see section on ‘How to stop diseases spreading’). If this is not possible, Coryza most probably will occur and should be vaccinated against.

Not good. The swelling has gotten much worse but the smell isn't as bad. It says in that info that the outbreak lasts 1-3 days and this is day three with no improvement. I'm really thinking infected sinus cavity from the puncture wound. It what keeps my from giving up.

Back
Top Bottom