Fake Brown egg ideas?

drinkoj

Chicken Chaser
May 24, 2020
Upstate South Carolina
We have an egg eater in our flock. We're doing hourly egg checks removing the eggs from the nesting boxes and coop in the morning hours and it's working pretty good. What we are noticing is that the white eggs are not being bothered but the brown eggs are. I have white golf balls in there and my thinking is that the Egg Eater(s) have hit the golf ball and are staying away from the white eggs, but the brown eggs are seen as available. So, any ideas or will a brown fake egg not help?

We have an egg eater in our flock. We're doing hourly egg checks removing the eggs from the nesting boxes and coop in the morning hours and it's working pretty good. What we are noticing is that the white eggs are not being bothered but the brown eggs are. I have white golf balls in there and my thinking is that the Egg Eater(s) have hit the golf ball and are staying away from the white eggs, but the brown eggs are seen as available. So, any ideas or will a brown fake egg not help?
I have multi-colored ceramic eggs (white, brown, cream, and blue) that I have placed in the nesting boxes. The ceramic eggs discourage the new egg pecking, and helps to encourage some hens to nest. The ceramic eggs have stopped most of our broken egg issues. Available from Tractor's Supply.

Does feeding an All Flock/Flock Feeder (20% protein) feed help eliminate and an "Egg Eater"? As that's not something I read about.
Possibly, it can help, but no guarantees.
Egg eating can be lack of calcium and/or protein...
...especially if the egg eating started about the time you switched feeds.
But egg eating is also, or can become, just a bad habit that may need further manipulations.

Back
Top Bottom