'Fake momma' in the incubator?

mswwalker

In the Brooder
Feb 2, 2017
OK, so this may be a dumb question but trust me, I've asked dumber ones before.

And this won't be the last.

Should I put something in the incubator for chicks to bundle/snuggle up with right after they hatch?
I ask because immediately after hatching it looks like they would want something to snuggle into to dry off. Additionally, I'm watching them today and it seems like they have these little bursts of energy where they just run pell-mell right through the middle of the remaining eggs, blasting some of them out of the way until they hit the wall on the far side, where they decide to take a little nap after the expulsion of so much energy... Would a foldy soft twoel help them at all, or just be something else in the way?

Thanks for any info.
Matt

Should I put something in the incubator for chicks to bundle/snuggle up with right after they hatch?
I ask because immediately after hatching it looks like they would want something to snuggle into to dry off. Additionally, I'm watching them today and it seems like they have these little bursts of energy where they just run pell-mell right through the middle of the remaining eggs, blasting some of them out of the way until they hit the wall on the far side, where they decide to take a little nap after the expulsion of so much energy... Would a foldy soft twoel help them at all, or just be something else in the way?

Thanks for any info.
Matt
no question is dumb.

Thanks for any info.
Matt

For the incubator, no. They will often cuddle up to each other. You really don't want anything extra in there. However, if you'd prefer something in the brooder after you move them, people do do that. I've seen feather dusters used, the mama brooder heating pad thing, stuffed animal. It's more common to do this with a solitary chick, but people do different things. Is it necessary, no, but.....

Back
Top Bottom