Faker! False egg song!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by holachicka, Jun 21, 2010.

1. holachicka

holachicka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Folsom, CA
    So, I'm anxiously waiting for my first egg! My girls are 18 weeks now, and last night when we got home from a fathers day at the river, I heard bawk bawk bacawk!! about three times in a row... Is that the egg song? (can't download youtube because I have dial up) Anyways, no egg that I could find *sigh*... Silly girls, they shouldn't cry wolf!!
  2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    It's the egg song/alarm call. When you hear it, it usually means your hens are frightened, or it means they're laying an egg. [​IMG]
  3. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    You should be getting an egg soon. I heard the chicken sound from my 6 month old chicken the other day (French Copper Maran) and I got my first egg yesterday!!!

Also, the roos can do the chicken song too. A hen will also do the chicken song and try and claim anothers egg. I have one that does that all the time. Such a tease. AND...... if a chicken finds herself a lone she will do the chicken song. It's a way of calling everyone......... kind of like yelling out the window or being put on speaker. I hope you get an egg soon.
  4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Only a few more days, and you'll have an egg!

I had a red sex link that did the egg song at 6:00 in the morning. I'd go running up and no egg. I think she figured out she'd get let out of the coop by getting me up there. [​IMG] She laid us eggs for 1 month until we lost her to a hawk attack.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by