Fall Hatch! Anybody with me??

Quote:
OMG their getting so big!! I'm excited that our next hatches are getting closer. But after these 2 the bators will go up till Spring!!

Lockdown TOMORROW!
Yeah then bators away! Until... March and it's Turkey time!

Brr... My yard is covered in snow! I think it's winter now. My chicks have no neck feathers!

I'm a few days behind you! The 20th & 25th!!

Quote:
OMG how adorable! Is it a partridge? I can't tell, looks like my 3 only with feathers on its neck, I hope your other 5 make it!!

Sheets! Where did you go? Are you buried in birds? Have your Turkens hatched?

X2 We miss you!!

So my 6 California Grey eggs are in lockdown! All look to be good except one has a wacky air cell, it's big and v-shaped. The chick seems to be alive but I didn't stare at it too long. We'll see what happens. Just a couple more days! Than baby chicks! Sunday is the big day 21.
big_smile.png

I can see how people can have their bators going all the time. I don't want to stop hatching. Seeing the soggy chicks hatch is different from buying chicks. I like it. I tell ya though. I'm having trouble visualizing those chicks bopping around in the eco20, even just 6. How do people do full hatches in those?! Like what, 20 eggs? 20 chicks in there would be crazy!

Quote:
I just reach in there and grab a few once they hatch and dry off. I don't worry to much about shrink wrapping because of the humidity here. I will spray a mist of water when I take the lid off.

And you could let all 6 batch and they would be fine.

Last edited:
Missi.
I have some questions for ya. I was thinking of getting some BBS Ameraucanas. How does the BBS work? Is splash a recognized color? Is the reason people keep them all together just for fun? I mean a black chicken is a black chicken, a blue a blue. They aren't all BBS, that isn't a color right? I don't even know what I'm asking. I know people will keep different colors of chickens together to create sexlinks but other than that... Is it just how the genetics of the blue work or something? The way I see it is you are keeping 3 different colors of chicken together yet they breed true in a manner of speaking as in they keep producing BBS right????
hmm.png
I have further confused myself. Maybe you can help?

Quote:
Well here's how is works!!

Blue X Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Black, 25% Splash
Blue X Splash = 50% Blue, 50% Splash
Splash X Splash = 100% Splash
Splash X Black = 100% Blue
Blue X Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black
Black X Black = 100% Black

So yes they would be Blue Marans, Splash Marans, & Black Marans... If you buy them all together they are BBS Marans. My first set were BBS Marans.. This set I have in the bator are supposed to be all Splash Marans!! I don't know why I've been calling them BBS's...

I don't know about the being a reconized color!!
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Well here's how is works!!

Blue X Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Black, 25% Splash
Blue X Splash = 50% Blue, 50% Splash
Splash X Splash = 100% Splash
Splash X Black = 100% Blue
Blue X Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black
Black X Black = 100% Black

So yes they would be Blue Marans, Splash Marans, & Black Marans... If you buy them all together they are BBS Marans. My first set were BBS Marans.. This set I have in the bator are supposed to be all Splash Marans!! I don't know why I've been calling them BBS's...

I don't know about the being a reconized color!!
idunno.gif

It is very strange to me that Splash X Black = 100% Blue. Blue is odd... Blue X Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Black, 25% Splash? That's odd too... What's with blue? I may just stay out of the BBS world completely. I've just been planning to get the Wheaten Ameraucanas and a breeder I'm ordering some other birds from has really nice BBS Ameraucanas so I was thinking about it. I don't know.

Are your Splash Marans hatching next week then? Almost hatching time for my CGs! I'm SUPER excited about them. Bah! That reminds me, another brooder to set up!

The Marans are going on lockdown on the 25th. I put the 3 GCM's left on lockdown today. After candling yesterday I decided they were a bit more progressed than I thought. This is the first time I've done a complete incubation in the LG I bought off CL.

Quote:
We are the only ones left in this thread.
hmm.png

Oh well!
Yay lockdown! Yay progressed! Cool LG! My sister borrowed an LG and hatched quite a bit in it, turkeys, geese, chickens. I think she also exploded some eggs in it... They are roomy.

How are your other babies doing? How many chicks do you have right now?

Since it's so late I can almost say that my eggs are due to hatch tomorrow! California Greys California Greys! I'm so excited for them to start moving. Now that I'm an old pro at incubating I am much less stressed.
big_smile.png
Though I may sit and stare at the incubator all day and night Sunday... Sometimes those chicks just explode out.

Quote:
We are the only ones left in this thread.
hmm.png

Oh well!
Yay lockdown! Yay progressed! Cool LG! My sister borrowed an LG and hatched quite a bit in it, turkeys, geese, chickens. I think she also exploded some eggs in it... They are roomy.

How are your other babies doing? How many chicks do you have right now?

Since it's so late I can almost say that my eggs are due to hatch tomorrow! California Greys California Greys! I'm so excited for them to start moving. Now that I'm an old pro at incubating I am much less stressed.
big_smile.png
Though I may sit and stare at the incubator all day and night Sunday... Sometimes those chicks just explode out.

Looks like it doesn't it?? How are your eggs doing???
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom