Family and "friends" want to buy free range eggs for less than cost

joebryant

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 28, 2008
SW of Greenwood, INDIANA
Anne had a concert last night (she's a violinist/concert master of the Indianapolis Philharmonic Orchestra) and many of our friends and family were there. I was telling them that we had ten baby chicks and that we were hoping at least five of them were hens. I also told them that I was building a coop that so far was costing me way more than a thousand dollars, plus I had to buy an incubator, brooder equipment and feed. Hopefully the five hens will start laying by October. I should get almost two dozen eggs a week, but we'll only need one dozen for ourselves, so I told them that we'll have a dozen a week for sale, about a gross before the end of the year. Everyone wanted a dozen until I told them that I'd have to have $80 a dozen just to cover my expenses; the cheapskates started hrumphing, heeeing, and hawing. Why is it that family and friends always expect to get everything for less than cost?

The nerve of some people.
wink.png

Your big mistake is hangin' with the "artiste" crowd (I should know, I used to be one of them). Keep the talented wife, but lose those free-loadin' friends and family. The nerve of wanting cheap eggs from your little, well-housed darlings!

Unfortunatly I understand this all to well. My inlaws live next door. My sister lives across the street. They have all mentioned how nice it will be to walk over and get eggs anytime they want
duc.gif

My dad whats weekly eggs now what should I charge
him I paid:
$96 for the coop
about $15 for feeders and waters
About $20 for bedding
About $30 Grit ( hey they love spilling it
idunno.gif
)
About $50 feed
So what should I charge him for eggs
wink.png
tongue.png
lol.png

P.S. My dads a cheep skate
wink.png

P.S.S. There only 10 weeks old
lol.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Ha, I bet they don't mind a *bit* when your wife insists that in order to play her violin in public, she needs to be paid a fee based on the total cost of all the lessons she's taken over the years, plus all the violins she's owned, plus probably an hourly rate for practicing practicing practicing, divided by the total number of public-performance minutes she'll have in her career.

At that rate of income you would surely be able to afford to sacrifice some eggs for less than eighty bucks a dozen
wink.png

LOL,

Pat

Call me crazy, but it's a nice feeling for me to know I can share healthy eggs with my family and friends. In return the've offered "donations" of time with chicken care, or money for feed.

I don't ask for money for my eggs, but the people who appreciate them find themselves with more eggs than the ones who don't!
hmm.png

My next door neighbor takes care of the dogs, chickens and horses when DH and I are gone on weekends. They get a dozen at least twice a month and they always appreciate them and offer to buy them. But a good neighbor is priceless. You bet your butt that they get free eggs before anyone else!

Back
Top Bottom