Family Matters...

Status
Not open for further replies.

smileyfacecat

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 24, 2009
Wrentham, MA
Alright, I have a .... dilemma. I am going to be attending Christmas dinner at my aunt's house, and I think the family should know a 'secret' that has been kept for the past 42 years. I just don't know if I should bring it up on Christmas - there's nothing quite as memorable as dropping a bomb shell on a holiday.
hide.gif
On the other hand, it is the only time of year that I can talk to them all in the same room.

Heres the deal; my [deadbeat] father (my aunt's brother) had a child with a girl when he was sixteen - roughly 42 years ago. The child's name is/was Rebecca. I have heard two different stories about said child, but not sure which if either can be believed. My father told my mom that he married Rebecca's mother than the marriage was annulled and shortly after Rebecca's second birthday, the mother had a psychotic break and Rebecca was given up for adoption.

Then there is the story that I heard, from my Aunt - who at the time of Rebecca's birth was only seven years old. I was told that Rebecca's mom was sent to an unwed mothers home, and Rebecca was given up at birth. I am so confused at this point, I don't know where to look. I don't even know if her name is or ever was Rebecca. The only common factor I have is I know she had been adopted at some point.

Any who, no one else, besides my aunt and my mother, knows about this child. I feel they have a right to know, and so does my aunt but she doesn't know how to approach the matter. It's pretty much up to me to tell my cousins that they have a family member they have never met, and is almost as old as their mother.

The reason I am writing/ranting, is because I feel kinda lost. If I tell them, I could make the evening, well kinda, depressing. On the other hand, I could tell them and get their hopes up and find her, only for her not to want to be a part of our family; crushing them. I could continue go at it alone but I am afraid I won't get far. I thought about hiring a P.I. but I don't have the funds or the time to do that.
hu.gif

I need help but I don't know how to ask for it.

What would you do in this kind of situation?
idunno.gif

There is that new show on called find my family. While at dinner, ask if anyone has watched the show, then turn to your uncle and say," you should go on there to find your baby"

Sorry my post is really confusing/complicated. I should have proof read it before I posted it. The child (Rebecca) is my half-sister, my father's child from a previous 'marriage'. My father is ... ummmm... missing, but by his own volition. I haven't seen him since I was 9, ten years ago. So needless to say, he won't be dinning with us.
I have made an attempt to contact Troy Dunn - the locator, but to no avail.

Note to self: don't make posts while half a sleep, and without proof-reading.

There are another 364 days of the year when you could bring this shocker up. Please don't turn Christmas into a disaster for all of you.

What would I do in the situation? Keep it private and quietly find out more any way I could, without making a production out of it. Once I found the alleged half-sister, I would try to establish a good relationship with her and slowly introduce her to the family, is she were willing.

It may take years to find her, or she could live around the corner. I wish you good luck and peace.

Have to agree with ranch hand here. Please dont ruin the holliday with your situation. Maybe if you still need to know more down the road possibly talk to the two that do know about this. But dont ruin what should be a happy get together.

Well, it was hard to hold my tongue, but I did. I was able to pull my aunt aside and ask her a few more question, sadly I received very few answers.
barnie.gif
I guess it's back to square one.
he.gif
Hopefully, I can more answers from my other uncle
fl.gif
Wish me luck.

I wish you good luck with your search. It must have been very hard to keep all this to yourself at Christmas dinner, but I agree that you did the right thing.

hugs.gif
hugs.gif
fl.gif

As much as you feel it is everyone's right to know......it isn't your right to tell.

This is your fathers child. His business.

I just don't know if I would be the one "to tell the family" ya know.

If you tell, what are you getting from it? I mean why do you want everyone to know?
Do you want to find this child? Contact her? etc. etc.......or are you throwing an old skeleton out into the family for "really" no reason at all?

just wondering

when you are the one "to pop the surprise" of a family secret, sometimes YOU COME out to be the bad guy. These things can bite you right back big time and you look like the troublemaker and everything else.....so tread carefully definitely if you do spill and do not be surprised if they come to hate you for blurting.....just think of all scenarios that might happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom