Famous Hatchery 'Pure Bred' Appearances

Pics
Being a dog breeder/shower in the past, animals not meeting the standard, doesn't mean they aren't purebred. It just means good gene pool not used. Sometimes good gene pools being bred with another good gene pool doesn't work. I would think the same with chickens. Still purebred, just not to the show quality standard. In dogs, they are sold as pet quality with spay/neuter conditions. With chickens, possibly sold as duel chicken instead of show?
Exactly. I used to raise Pekingese because I absolutely love them. I wanted my line to have good bone structure like the standard says. I bred some beautiful puppies, but sometime you just had one that looked like "the milkman" came calling. I did just as you, spay/neuter conditions and if it happened more than once, I spayed/neutered my breed stock.

This is kinda what the "review" section is for now, isn't it?

The reviews are generally good info, but there is likely a place for artcles that hold up an example of a high quality specimen of a breed via a few pics, discusses the few faults of that bird... and then does the same for an average quality specimen of the same breed in a comparative manner.

I think many people would find that kind of thing interesting. But of course it would take folks familiar with the SOP of each breed to do this... and require some level of agreement among those people on the aspects of the SOP that are more subjective, and so on.

Although they aren't as close to the breed standard, those Buff Orps are more beautiful as hatchery birds than show quality ones IMO. The problem with getting birds to look this good is that most of them have very inbred family trees...mother to son/father to daughter breedings..and then grandparents. That is why I might not want to go that far with breeding birds. Although chickens can handle inbreeding well there could be a day where I'm talking to my kids and if they ask the parentage it will either be a really short discussion or long one.

But who knows I might get over it or just try to obtain a variety of breeders

Although they aren't as close to the breed standard, those Buff Orps are more beautiful as hatchery birds than show quality ones IMO. The problem with getting birds to look this good is that most of them have very inbred family trees...mother to son/father to daughter breedings..and then grandparents. That is why I might not want to go that far with breeding birds. Although chickens can handle inbreeding well there could be a day where I'm talking to my kids and if they ask the parentage it will either be a really short discussion or long one.

But who knows I might get over it or just try to obtain a variety of breeders
A good breeder will infuse new blood into their breeding stock every few years.

interesting thread. i have 7 types of hens including ees. 2 of my buff orps look like what they should look like from your pics. nice and puffy and 2 dont. but they all come from the same hatchery and ordered together. i love the way the flock looks with everyone being different. so last winter i ordered 2 ee roos. i have 3 chicks now and have no idea what they are going to look like, but cant wait to see. theyre just getting pin feathers.

Although they aren't as close to the breed standard, those Buff Orps are more beautiful as hatchery birds than show quality ones IMO.
To each his own lol
I'm fine with the big fatties thank you :D
The problem with getting birds to look this good is that most of them have very inbred family trees...mother to son/father to daughter breedings..and then grandparents.
Where did you hear people do that? Most times one wouldn't have to inbreed their birds, they'd just have to line breed. Inbreeding is breeding closely related birds to each other, while line breeding is breeding birds that are say half brothers

I've line bred Partridge Rocks from a line that is 50+ years old and there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. Who ever told you to be weary of that was just BSing

Not all of us want to be Kate Upton.

And not all of us even want to be 'next to' Kate Upton either. ;)

I find show chickens to be a bit like super models... I don't mind looking at them, but don't want to pay for them, or put up with them! :rolleyes:

( to be fair I've never actually known a super model, or ever owned a show chicken )

Back
Top Bottom