Fancy Pigeons Thread!!

My fantail pair has a son who is driving the pair crazy. Im hoping to get him some company through breeding his parents. I finally had to separate the boy but Ive found the parents arent so good at brooding. They are on their third set of eggs without success. I found the mother NOT sitting on the eggs but instead with the eggs scattered in front of her and she made no effort to tuck them under her for a few mins. I took the eggs and placed them in an incubator I had going with quail eggs. Then I replaced two dud eggs under mama in the pen. My question is, how soon before hatch should I switch out the eggs? Anyone with any experience similar to this?

Looking into raising pigeons just for fun, could they be kept in a aviary with Golden Pheasants And Bob White Quail?? Any tips would help I know it is not a good idea with chickens or Ring Neck Pheasants as they can be agressive (espeically the Ring Neck Cocks) amd will eat squabs and attack any adult pigeon given half a chance. I would play it safe and separate them with a chicken wire petition. I have no experience with Golden pheasants and Bob White Quail however. You may get by housing seperatly for a time. I think your troubles will begin when the pigeons nest and especially when the squabs arrive.

My question is, how soon before hatch should I switch out the eggs? Anyone with any experience similar to this? I have 66 trips around the sun and have been raising pigeons for decades. That being said I never did what you are attempting to do. If I was in your shoes pigeon eggs will hatch in about 19 +or- days. I would make the exchange as soon as I noticed the squab pierce the egg shell and let him carry out the hatch under it's parents..

Last edited:
So here is what happened. The first attempt failed as the eggs never went to completion. They quit prior to finishing the development. I will try again because my fantails have a squab not fully ready to leave the nest but mama laid two eggs on the floor of their aviary. Whenever the fantails have attempted to use the floor as a nest things did not go well. I took one of the eggs from her and it is under my dove who are on two of their eggs. They seem to covet the large egg but I will eventually take it from them as the last time it was not successful for them to brood the three eggs. Their bodies are probably too small to keep all the eggs warm enough. I am getting a new incubator and I plan to try again incubating the eggs up until they pip as you recommend. I want to give them back to the fantails to raise but im just worried about the eggs developing in their current environments.

That's what I was told about the golden's and quail together and everything is great .

I hope every thing goes well for you. As you know there is only one way for sure to tell and that is to try. Evey flock of birds is different. With the breed of chickens and pheasants I had it was a recipe for disaster. I suggest you monitor them closely especially when the squabs arrive. Good luck Alex.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom