Fancy Pigeons Thread!!

I just bought these two cuties today. (The back one is a female...[says the seller] named Gem) and the front brown one is a male, named Jay. Now, I don't know what breed this is..so can someone help me plzz? I was so silly not to get more advice from the seller at the Newnan show...hahaha.

Since you all seem to be experts here... what breed would you suggest for someone that is new to pigeons?

Would you allow homers to free range?
Any pigeon can 'free range'... But its best to only let them out for free flight when you are there to watch.. then train them to go back into the loft or coop.

This is because if they have constant access to fly about the area some will get killed by predators.. or other 'accidents'.

For a beginner you are better to start with the more common available pigeons.. because they will be much cheaper and usually easier to breed. Some of the rarer or more fancy kinds need special care.. some can't fly well, some need feathers clipping for breeding, and others can not even raise their own young.. which have to be fostered to other breeds.

If you want tame friendly pet pigeons then fantails are great. They breed really easily too.

If you want pigeons so you can watch them fly high in the air around the loft you can get Rollers, tumblers or homers.

If you want to race them you need homers.

If you want something pretty and also for flying around the loft.. Dutch Capuchins and German Owls are good.

Finally, if you want to eat them.. or you want some big birds that don't fly much.. utility king pigeons are great.

You can do an internet search or you tube search to see what these breeds are like.

My white racing homers are a lot larger than king pigeons seen. birminham rollers are best starters, as fun to fly n breed, easy to train (extremely friendly), and great varying coloring n patterning, they need very little space and take confinement best and crowd n breed in piles in corners if not given nests n more space, eat less than any other breed especially less than any flyin n performance breed (fliers can maintain on wheat alone, until winter when corn good for cold, though good bird seed n chicken feeds). Parlor pigeons cannot fly after three months, n they are best pet pigeons for children. homers/racers, are all around great n breed. all of performance and show, flight breeds of pigeons are great as they have very unique look, coming in "capped"/crested, n "plain head", "pearl eyed", clear smooth cere/nose, etc.

Back
Top Bottom