Fans in coops??

I have a strong preference for passive ventilation designed into the coop from the beginning. The power for a fan is likely to go out just when you need it -- late in the afternoon on a blistering hot day when power demand maxes out and overloads the grid. :(

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/

That said, some extreme climates merit fans automatically and sometimes you're making do with what you have.

I've been looking for a used or discount "chef's hat" ventilator for my Outdoor Brooder because it was converted from a structure that had a flat roof and thus, despite superior ventilation, still gets hot in the afternoon sun.

IMO, @aart's design is good because it's blowing in, but if you're going to mount the fan inside blowing out it's absolutely critical to get a barn-rated fan. An ordinary household fan + chicken dander and dust from the bedding is a fire hazard.

I got a small solar-powered one and attached it to the hardware cloth vent such that it pulls air OUT of the coop just to keep the air moving during summer.
Same. I have this one and it's been working great for pulling hot air out at roost level in the humid summer. My coop is small so it does the trick but if you have a bigger fan, you may need a larger one?

Back
Top Bottom