Sarah99

In the Brooder
Oct 21, 2018
Minnesota
I have been wanting to start my own Turkey, geese, quail, chicken and duck Hatchery. Questions include...

1.) Can you sex day olds, and how?

2.) How much room is needed for them (Acres)?

3.) I was wondering how much can I sell Ocellated Turkeys, (Once I get them this spring)????

I have been wanting to start my own Turkey, geese, quail, chicken and duck Hatchery. Questions include...

1.) Can you sex day olds, and how?

2.) How much room is needed for them (Acres)?

3.) I was wondering how much can I sell Ocellated Turkeys, (Once I get them this spring)????
1. No
2. Depends on how many different varieties you intend to keep.
3. Very unlikely that you will be able to successfully propagate Ocellated turkeys in Minnesota. It would require a huge, heated greenhouse type aviary and they would not survive being raised around all the other species you plan since they are not immune to all the different diseases that may not bother the other species.

1. No
2. Depends on how many different varieties you intend to keep.
3. Very unlikely that you will be able to successfully propagate Ocellated turkeys in Minnesota. It would require a huge, heated greenhouse type aviary and they would not survive being raised around all the other species you plan since they are not immune to all the different diseases that may not bother the other species.
So if I am only getting ocellated turkeys it'll be easier? I know about the whole they need to stay warm, I actually researched as much as I can about them. I was just wondering what diseases can ocellated turkeys can get from other birds? If you don't mind me asking.

So if I am only getting ocellated turkeys it'll be easier? I know about the whole they need to stay warm, I actually researched as much as I can about them. I was just wondering what diseases can ocellated turkeys can get from other birds? If you don't mind me asking.
Pretty much any of the diseases that domestic poultry can get and easily survive can be deadly to a tropical bird that has not previously been exposed to these diseases.

Unfortunately since the change over of the Internet, many online sources are no longer available.

This one has a section on Ocellated turkeys and points out how inbred the captive Ocellated turkeys have become.

Ocellated turkeys contains an error by claiming that no permit is required to bring in the live birds. All states have their own guidelines concerning importing and the Federal poultry import guidelines must also be adhered to. The article does point out the flightiness and failure to propagate.

Breeding Ocellated turkeys in captivity

Due to the difficulty and expense of raising these beautiful turkeys, I doubt that there is much of a market for them. Everyone wants them but very few have the resources to actually be able to keep them alive.

At least one of the places that I recall selling them does not sell hatchlings due to the difficulty of keeping them alive with nearly a 100% mortality of sold day old poults.

Pretty much any of the diseases that domestic poultry can get and easily survive can be deadly to a tropical bird that has not previously been exposed to these diseases.

Unfortunately since the change over of the Internet, many online sources are no longer available.

This one has a section on Ocellated turkeys and points out how inbred the captive Ocellated turkeys have become.

Ocellated turkeys contains an error by claiming that no permit is required to bring in the live birds. All states have their own guidelines concerning importing and the Federal poultry import guidelines must also be adhered to. The article does point out the flightiness and failure to propagate.

Breeding Ocellated turkeys in captivity

Due to the difficulty and expense of raising these beautiful turkeys, I doubt that there is much of a market for them. Everyone wants them but very few have the resources to actually be able to keep them alive.

At least one of the places that I recall selling them does not sell hatchlings due to the difficulty of keeping them alive with nearly a 100% mortality of sold day old poults.

Thank you so much, yeah I been reading some guidelines about how difficult they really are to keep.

Thank you so much, yeah I been reading some guidelines about how difficult they really are to keep.
If you are really serious about this, I would start with some heritage turkeys and learn how to do artificial insemination on them. It seems like successful breeding attempts do involve using AI with Ocellated turkeys.

As you are learning, Ocellated turkeys really aren't a domestic breed and do require special treatment.

Only one thing to say... I don't know the other answers.
Do NOT let anyone tell you you can feather sex day olds. I'm glad no one has so far.

Hatcheries make special sex linked crosses within a breed to feather sex. At this rate vent sexing would be better.

Luckily R2elk didn't say it.

Only one thing to say... I don't know the other answers.
Do NOT let anyone tell you you can feather sex day olds. I'm glad no one has so far.

Hatcheries make special sex linked crosses within a breed to feather sex. At this rate vent sexing would be better.

Luckily R2elk didn't say it.
The Broad Breasted Whites have been bred to be able to be feather sexed but it is not how you normally think of feather sexing as compared to chickens. The male poults have been developed so they have fewer feathers than the female poults.

Turkeys are not chickens and your reference to the sex linked crosses for feather sexing as seen in chickens does not apply to turkeys especially since all domestic turkeys are only one breed which is Turkey. The Ocellated turkeys are not domestic turkeys and are the only other breed.

There are sex link color genes (brown and Narragansett) that can be used to create mixes which can be sexed at hatch. Unfortunately some of those crosses look so similar at hatch that it can be very difficult to sex them.

The Broad Breasted Whites have been bred to be able to be feather sexed but it is not how you normally think of feather sexing as compared to chickens. The male poults have been developed so they have fewer feathers than the female poults.

Turkeys are not chickens and your reference to the sex linked crosses for feather sexing as seen in chickens does not apply to turkeys especially since all domestic turkeys are only one breed which is Turkey. The Ocellated turkeys are not domestic turkeys and are the only other breed.

There are sex link color genes (brown and Narragansett) that can be used to create mixes which can be sexed at hatch. Unfortunately some of those crosses look so similar at hatch that it can be very difficult to sex them.

Thanks for all the Info you Guys!! I apperciate it!!

Back
Top Bottom