Farm chatter

4 years is a decent amount of time breeding chickens. I've been doing breeding since 2018, so a good 3 years for me.

Maybe you can make a new project if you can't restart your original?
That'd probably be the easiest thing to do. If I can get some fertile eggs from my neighbors to hatch, it's basically a 100% chance there'll be a rooster in the hatch. So maybe I can go from there. I know my hens' eggs sorta well, so I can pick pacific eggs on future hatches. :)
They're pretty, & most were pretty consistent in body type, & coloration.
Thank you! The most consistent coloration is, I think, what Vienna, José, and Bailey had. They all had the same colors, and similar markings. The second I think was the red shoulders. Douglas had the red shoulders and a lot of the Douglas Whites had red shoulders. Just, only Marvalo was the red shouldered hen.
He looks part American Game, those legs are pretty long, his feathering is abit tight.

A friend just confirmed that my EE looks to be part Gamefowl.View attachment 2730583View attachment 2730585
He is so beautiful! I love his markings! :love:love:love:love

That'd probably be the easiest thing to do. If I can get some fertile eggs from my neighbors to hatch, it's basically a 100% chance there'll be a rooster in the hatch. So maybe I can go from there. I know my hens' eggs sorta well, so I can pick pacific eggs on future hatches. :)
Pssssssssst- if you hope for at least one boy, you'll get all girls
it's a proven fact

Pssssssssst- if you hope for at least one boy, you'll get all girls
it's a proven fact
What?! I've been wanting a rooster ever since I didn't have one! Now you're telling me that I'll get all hens? :eek: Nooooooo!!!!! I just want a rooster!!!! :hit:hit:hit:bow:bow

Thank you! The most consistent coloration is, I think, what Vienna, José, and Bailey had. They all had the same colors, and similar markings. The second I think was the red shoulders. Douglas had the red shoulders and a lot of the Douglas Whites had red shoulders. Just, only Marvalo was the red shouldered hen.

He is so beautiful! I love his markings! :love:love:love:love
Can't wait to see what you come up with.

You're welcome. Yes, the white birds you produced with your project are the most consistent. this also includes the ones with red in the shoulders.

Thanks.

Looks like 3 out of my 4 Project Giant Silkie chicks are cockerels. I need more girls.

I was actually supposed to get update pictures of them yesterday.
At least you got roosters..... I hope that I can get another rooster something soon somehow. :)

Giant Silkies? Like Chinese? When I got my TSC Silkies, I called them Chinese Silkies because they were big for a Silkie. Turns out they were TSC Silkies, and wasn't worth anything. Five toes on one foot, four on the other, clean to mostly clean legs and an occasional single comb isn't no pure Silkie unfortunately. I did hatch out some beautiful chicks with those two, but they were still that TSC Silkie.

At least you got roosters..... I hope that I can get another rooster something soon somehow. :)

Giant Silkies? Like Chinese? When I got my TSC Silkies, I called them Chinese Silkies because they were big for a Silkie. Turns out they were TSC Silkies, and wasn't worth anything. Five toes on one foot, four on the other, clean to mostly clean legs and an occasional single comb isn't no pure Silkie unfortunately. I did hatch out some beautiful chicks with those two, but they were still that TSC Silkie.
Actually Chinese Silkies have things we consider Flaws here in the US. Single comb, & missing toes is a couple of them. Chinese silkies are also Large Fowl, rooster's being 4lbs, or over, & hens being 3lbs, & over.
TSC silkies fit the original Chinese silkies, & are what I'm using for my project.

Single combs also pop up in Show Stock occasionally. It's a recessive trait.

Here's my Large Fowl Silkie rooster.
20210106_143207.jpg
20210109_142242.jpg
20210109_142250.jpg
My LF Silkie Hen. She lost about a pound. She's broody. She was originally 4¼.
20210616_094734.jpg
20210616_094742.jpg

Back
Top Bottom