Farm chatter

Are they mean like people say they are?
I've heard most here refer to them as a crap shoot. I think that there are some breeds with more aggressive tendencies in roosters (looking at you, RIR) and some that have better reputations (cochins, salmon faverolles) but I'm pretty sure that it's luck. I know that when they're flock raised by broody, they tend to have better manners than if they're brooder babies, though.

I'm sorry for your loss @Thunder344 . He was beautiful.
Thanks. :love
No. My boys will sit in my lap and enjoy cuddles. It depends what breed and how you raise them. But, all my boys are a docile breed, so that also helps with them not being aggressive.

Okay, so i remember googling how old faverolles need to be to mature, and now i forgot. And every time i google it i get weird answers. How old do they need to be to start crowing? All of my boys are 19-20 weeks.

Thanks. :love

No. My boys will sit in my lap and enjoy cuddles. It depends what breed and how you raise them. But, all my boys are a docile breed, so that also helps with them not being aggressive.

Okay, so i remember googling how old faverolles need to be to mature, and now i forgot. And every time i google it i get weird answers. How old do they need to be to start crowing? All of my boys are 19-20 weeks.
I know that larger breeds are slower to mature, and I think that Favs are on the larger end?
They also may not start crowing if there's an older, dominant rooster in the flock already.

I got 3 pullets and 3 straight run (not knowing that was "code" for cockerels, ha-ha) when I first got chicks. Of course, all 3 were cockerels. 2 of them were really aggressive with the pullets, and me. All 3 were Buff Orpington, considered a "docile" breed. (HA!)

One would even bite my hand, and not just nip, but grab hard and twist. Once those two were gone, the flock was MUCH more peaceful.

However, the remaining guy, my roo Darl, does challenge me on occasion. He's not my buddy, but he is good with the girls, and that's more important. I take a big stick in with me whenever I go into the run/coop. I can push him out of the way without hurting him, and he gets the message.
I know that when they're flock raised by broody, they tend to have better manners than if they're brooder babies, though.
My next roo, if I have one, will be flock raised, for sure.
Why don't people want roosters?
They also eat a lot and don't lay eggs. (I know y'all know that.) My guy eats way more than any of the girls. Right now, he's not "getting his job done," ie, the eggs I do get are not fertile. But it's molting time, so everybody is off their game.

I enjoy his crowing, and so do my neighbors. They're far enough away so that it's not loud. It sounds "country," I guess.

I got 3 pullets and 3 straight run (not knowing that was "code" for cockerels, ha-ha) when I first got chicks. Of course, all 3 were cockerels. 2 of them were really aggressive with the pullets, and me. All 3 were Buff Orpington, considered a "docile" breed. (HA!)

One would even bite my hand, and not just nip, but grab hard and twist. Once those two were gone, the flock was MUCH more peaceful.

However, the remaining guy, my roo Darl, does challenge me on occasion. He's not my buddy, but he is good with the girls, and that's more important. I take a big stick in with me whenever I go into the run/coop. I can push him out of the way without hurting him, and he gets the message.

My next roo, if I have one, will be flock raised, for sure.

They also eat a lot and don't lay eggs. (I know y'all know that.) My guy eats way more than any of the girls. Right now, he's not "getting his job done," ie, the eggs I do get are not fertile. But it's molting time, so everybody is off their game.

I enjoy his crowing, and so do my neighbors. They're far enough away so that it's not loud. It sounds "country," I guess.
My first Buff Orpington rooster was a Big Teddy Bear.

Back
Top Bottom