Farm Innovators 2400 Incubator Seeking Mentor

there are 2 schools of thought, dry vs wet incubation.  I highly recommend the dry incubation method, I have had the best hatch rates using this method, but it is completely your choice which method to use. there is a link in my signature about it if you want to read more.
Q
here is the short version for dry incubation:

day 1-18: 25-45%
add no water; the eggs evaporation will create humidity naturally. remove red vent plugs.
day 19-21: 55-65%
add water to increase humidity on day 19. can be using the water well in the bottom, or a sponge in a dish.

temperature -
forced air (fan): 99.5F
still air (no fan): 101F

I agree with farmer viola that dry incubation has worked better than wet for me. I run anywhere between 20 and40% for the first 18 days then raise it.

My incubator runs very well as far as temp goes, i do suggest running full loads of eggs if possible as the more thermal mass in the incubator the better as it can hold more heat therefore running steadily. I also add baggies with water in them under the mesh floor for additional thermal mass.

With a full load of eggs I don't have to add any water in my environment it gets all the moisture it needs from evaporation of the moisture within the eggs, with a small batch of eggs you will have to monitor humidity daily and add water as needed, also if you are in a dry area more water will be needed. I regulate my humidity by adding or removing vent plugs. I start with both out then if it drops too low I put one back in, if it goes really low I will put them both back in to bring it back up faster then I remove one again when it gets to where I want it. Once you get to the later days of incubation you will want to be sure to remove the plugs because the chicks need air.

You need to get a different thermometer and hygrometer and ignore the ones on the incubator theyre junk. I got a small round hygrometer for a reptile aquarium from a pet store and i compared a bunch of thermometers at a farm store and bought the seemingly most accurate one for 3 dollars and i lay it on top of the eggs.

Last edited:
I am going to try dry incubation next time, it seems to be easier than dealing with confusing humidity issues.

Well dry hatching doesn't mean don't monitor the humidity it just means hatching at a lower humidity, if you let it get too low you will have dead shrink wrapped chicks. The amount of eggs in the incubator and the climate in your area will dictate how much water if any needs to be added

Back
Top Bottom