mychookschick

Songster
10 Years
Aug 28, 2009
Maine
Join Us For a Farm Swap!!
Where: Tractor Supply Company, 1619 LISBON ST – LEWISTON ME 04240

When: Saturday, May 12th, 2012 From 9AM to 2PM

What: Come to sell or buy! If you are selling, bring any and all small farm animals (goats, piglets, rabbits, chickens, guinea hens, etc). Bring cages, for your animals, along with food and water for all day. If you are coming to buy, bring boxes to transport home!

If you have any questions, you contact me, Jennifer, through PM

LEGAL STUFF:

IT WILL BE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF EACH VENDOR TO ABIDE BY STATE OF MAINE LAWS AND REGULATIONS; TO PROVIDE ANY REQUIRED LICENSING, ADEQUATE SHELTER, CAGING, WATER AND FOOD FOR THEIR ANIMALS; & TO CLEAN UP THEIR AREAS WHEN LEAVING.

Maine State Laws governing the sale of poultry/waterfowl & goats

Maine State Law:

MAINE RULES AND REGS ON SALES OF LIVESTOCK, POULTRY, WATERFOWL, MILK, CHEESE

http://www.maine.gov/agriculture/ahi/ahisr.html

All goats or sheep leaving their farm (going to a swap, show, walk around the neighborhood or sale of any kind in or out of state) need to have a scrape number. This number is on a tag or can be tattooed on the animal. Tags are free and so is the applicator. If you need scrape tags, call Gail at the fed USDA 866-873-2824 and she will send out tags for your farm and the applicator. The tag is a way to trace back to the farm of origin if there is a problem. So if you have a goat that you bought elsewhere and it has a scrape tag, it doesn't need a new tag as long as that tag is still attached to the animal. If the tag comes off, you need to put on your scrape tag. If you go the tattoo route, ear, thigh, or tail fold are the places for it to be applied. (Thanks to Hoppy for this great info)

5B. birds do not need to be in the NPIP Program. Its great if your birds are Typhoid & Pollorum tested to keep these diseases out of US (but is not necessary).

The only time you need to have tested birds is at a fair/show.

The only stipulations are that at public events in Maine you have to sell any birds under 8 weeks old in lots of 6, above the 8 weeks, they can go one at a time. Now, from your house or farm you can sell singular birds of any age.

You must purchase 6 from the one family the chicks are raised in, not 1 bird here, 1 bird there. (I believe its the pecking order and younger chicks could be harmed)

NO PROCESSING OR NEUTERING OF ANIMALS

Mammals must be completely weaned and minimum of 8 weeks old.

RULES FOR OUT OF STATE VENDORS

http://www.maine.gov/sos/cec/rules/01/001/001c206.doc

VENDORS DO NOT NEED A VENDORS LICENSE UNLESS THE VENDOR BUYS LIVESTOCK, POULTRY OR WATERFOWL TO RE-SELL

Certificate of Veterinary Inspection: A legible certificate signed by an accredited veterinarian and approved by the chief livestock official of the state or country of origin stating that the animals are free from signs of contagious, infectious and communicable diseases and containing the following:

1. An official identification number, or identification satisfactory to the commissioner, for each animal
2. Age, sex and breed of each animal
3. The results of any qualifying test
4. The exact address of consignor (sender) and consignee (receiver).
5. The expected date of entry

NH & out of state residents should have a copy of their NPIP form to show that the flocks of origin for their birds were NPIP certified.

Rule Chapters for the Department of Agriculture, Food and Rural Resources
01 001 Agriculture General

http://www.maine.gov/sos/cec/rules/01/chaps01.htmL

Other than that, come to have fun, and meet other BYCer's and animal people!! Can't wait to find out how many people are coming and what stuff we can expect to see there!!

Post here what you plan to bring, or what you are looking for!

Last edited:
Let's see if we can get this thread jump-started! I will hopefully bringing young chicks (anywhere from 2-3 day olds up to 3-4 weeks old, I'm not sure yet). And maybe some laying hens, but it is a little bit too early to tell...

ETA: I may be interested in buying an incubator, if I do well at the swap...

Edited again: I am going to make this post a running tally of what people want and what they are bringing, that way you won't have to read the whole thread (if it gets any posts) Stuff with question marks in front are tentative.

Wanted:
Guinea Pigs
Chicks
LF Hens or pullets
LF Buff Brahma roo
LF Roo (any breed)
? Incubator
Guinea hens (or keets)
Royal Palm Turkeys
Geese
Bobwhite Quail
Hatching Duck eggs
BO hen
Swedish Flower Hen
Showgirl Hatching Eggs
Broody Hen
Female Bantam chicks or Pullets
Turkey chicks
Guinea Keets
SQ Bantams

Being Brought:
? Bunnies
LF Chicks
LF hens
Adult breeding pair of Seramas
? Pilgrim Goslings
? Silver Appleyard ducklings
Nubian Goat Kids
EE's chicks
Black Copper Marans
Buff Orphington chicks
Mixed chicks
Chicks
Hatching Eggs
? Ducklings
? Turkey Poults
? New Zealand Rabbits
? Pair of Guinea Hens
Raw Colored Icelandic Sheep Wool
3-4 Pet Quality Showgirl roos
Mixed Breed chicks
? Breeding Group of Ancona Chickens
9 or 10 week old Bantam Roosters
? Guinea Keets
Barred Plymouth Rock hens. Apprx 1 year old
Buff Orpington hens. Apprx 1 year old.
English saddle
Homemade Dog and Horse treats
Fresh cut Tulips

Last edited:
Just found the thread & will be watching.
Nice to have a swap closer to home than they have been!

I will be looking for young hens/sexed chicks - Silkie, EE, and good layer breeds.
Not looking to add a lot of gals, but love the looks of Barred Rocks, Brahmas, well, most chickens really.

Any word about hens at this swap? I'm looking for a few to add to my flock, not bantams, full size girls. Prefer EE, BO, Wyandottes, but you never know:)

Not yet... But if there isn't any word when we get closer to the swap, I may be persuaded to sell some of mine. I have both Wyandottes and BO's. I would rather sell the Wyandottes.

you might change on your wanted list hens to large fowl hens just to avoid the confusion of bantams (BTM)/ large fowl (LF)

Let's see if we can get this thread jump-started! I will hopefully bringing young chicks (anywhere from 2-3 day olds up to 3-4 weeks old, I'm not sure yet). And maybe some laying hens, but it is a little bit too early to tell...

ETA: I may be interested in buying an incubator, if I do well at the swap...

Edited again: I am going to make this post a running tally of what people want and what they are bringing, that way you won't have to read the whole thread (if it gets any posts)

Wanted:
Guinea Pigs
Chicks
Hens

Being Brought:
Bunnies
Chicks
Maybe hens

Back
Top Bottom