Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

I think beauty and production can go hand in hand easier with the more established breeds. Because production is so high on my priority list that show stock and breeders are "only" chosen from the most productive, earliest laying birds, I can still have competitive show stock because it's such an established breed. But with my other breed/project birds I'm still hoping with each generation to get something that isn't so hard on the eyes that I cringe. LOL

Definitely. If one were to buy something more popular with decent SOP traits fairly well cemented into their birds, they could advance the production a little faster. The more popular breeds have an advantage over breeds like our Javas that were left to languish for a century.

I think beauty and production can go hand in hand easier with the more established breeds. Because production is so high on my priority list that show stock and breeders are "only" chosen from the most productive, earliest laying birds, I can still have competitive show stock because it's such an established breed. But with my other breed/project birds I'm still hoping with each generation to get something that isn't so hard on the eyes that I cringe. LOL

Definitely.  If one were to buy something more popular with decent SOP traits fairly well cemented into their birds, they could advance the production a little faster.  The more popular breeds have an advantage over breeds like our Javas that were left to languish for a century. 

I also think it varies a lot within the established breeds. I know my RIR lay early or else. But the breeder of the original line is watchful of that. I also know there are other lines that while gorgeous do not lay until closer to 9 months old and some even a year.
I want early laying, consistent laying, and good dress weights at a reasonable age. I know... Dear Santa I want it all. LOL

Last edited:

Absolutely. It's when dealing with breeds that have hit rock bottom that one needs to go step by step

Greetings! Using Standard-bred heritage poultry as a basis for traditional food production is a passion of ours. With heritage fowl, there is an entire cycle of food production that fills the calendar with seasonality and surprise, which differs in outstanding fashion from the current hum-drum of same-old same-old that has replaced our traditional food supply since the rise of the chicken nugget.

It would be a pleasure to start a dialogue, in conjuction with the other fine threads in this section dedicated to heritage poultry, about the ins and outs of using Standard-bred poultry on the homestead.

This can be a place to share experience, ask questions, and work out solutions with regards to egg production, meat production, feather harvest, etc., all in relating back to the breeding efforts of an ever evolving homestead flock of heritage fowl and even waterfowl.

I'm working on starting a New Hampshire flock, in hopes of one day becoming a reputable breeder of them.
I also hope to start a Narraganset flock of turkeys within the next two years, with the same hope in mind.
I would welcome any and all advice and experience that anyone would be willing to share.

I'm working on starting a New Hampshire flock, in hopes of one day becoming a reputable breeder of them.
I also hope to start a Narraganset flock of turkeys within the next two years, with the same hope in mind.
I would welcome any and all advice and experience that anyone would be willing to share.

The three things I learned is Quality , Quality , Quality - If you start with that from a reputable breeder you save the other important things.
Time , money and headaches- and I'm no expert but learned that quick.
Good luck! its a great Heritage breed.

Well, you're already starting in the right direction by choosing one, appropriate breed and maintaining that focus. The next step is acquiring stock worthy of your endeavor unless you already have. there are some good lines of NHs.

Greetings!  Using Standard-bred heritage poultry as a basis  for traditional food production is a passion of ours.  With heritage fowl, there is an entire cycle of food production that fills the calendar with seasonality and surprise, which differs in outstanding fashion from the current hum-drum of same-old same-old that has replaced our traditional food supply since the rise of the chicken nugget.

It would be a pleasure to start a dialogue, in conjuction with the other fine threads in this section dedicated to heritage poultry, about the ins and outs of using Standard-bred poultry on the homestead.

This can be a place to share experience, ask questions, and work out solutions with regards to egg production, meat production, feather harvest, etc., all in relating back to the breeding efforts of an ever evolving homestead flock of heritage fowl and even waterfowl.

I've got a friend who raises NH - some exceptional ones. He has two distinct lines... one line lays amazingly well, the other is hard to get enough eggs to perpetuate them. Do you research carefully.

You have good taste. LOL.

I would recommend not aspiring to anything. Those motivations get lost to the wind at some point anyways.

Get to know the breed would be my advice. Often learning a sense of a breed, and why it has the type that it does gets lost in the enthusiasm. It is surprising how so many overlook this most elementary point.
If you truly admire and love the breed, rather than the idea of it, you will get to know it intimately. A knowledge that is more than a collection of facts.

The typical advice to purchase and use the Standard. Not to neglect the first part, which is your foundation. Memorize the standard for your breed. Get to know other breeds, especially breeds in the same class. Know how they were used, and why one might have an advantage over another in some respect. The breed's type both sets limitations, and enables them. The breeder determines whether or not they realize their potential.

If it is possible. Show your birds. Some may not know your breed as well as you, but you will surround yourself with experienced poultry breeders. Their practical experience and perspective is invaluable. Ask questions that you have been unable to resolve on your own. Other breeders will take you more seriously if you take it seriously.
Gather all you can, including a couple books on breeding poultry. The larger the paradigm, a broader perspective to draw from.

Learn what you can before you even source the birds. It is helpful to know what you are looking for, and why you might prefer one over the other. You could potentially save yourself a lot of time, moving forward. Once you have them. Roll up your sleeves, and go to work. It is one thing to read and talk about it. Another to do it. There are countless internet experts that have no practical experience, and therefore, no practical knowledge. Know who you are talking to. It doesn't mean they have nothing of value to offer. We just have to sift through it. Be careful not to dismiss it too easily. I have rejected ideas to have been convinced by them later.

Facilities before the birds. There is no joy in chasing our tails. Once it starts, it happens fast.

Bob's advice to start small, and slow, was wise. There are disadvantages to being small, but especially initially, there are more advantages. It takes some time to get a feel for them. There are enough NHs now, to pick up on some later if you need to.

Most of all, enjoy the birds. If they were not enjoyable, the rest means nothing. It is a hobby. Poultry people tend to be opinionated. You would think it was a religion at times. We can take it too seriously. It requires some passion to persevere. On the other hand, poultry people tend to be generous and good natured people. Even if it does not seam like it in internet posts, where a lot is not communicated.

Every spring, hope is renewed. It is an enjoyable hobby.

I agree that there may be more freedom to emphasize in an established breed or strain etc.

I would add that it could be a disadvantage where poor production characteristics are as set as the others. It could be a blessing and a curse, but would agree that less points of selection could mean faster progress. I would qualify that by considering what it might take to maintain the progress that has already been made.

A friend, took one of my BR K's and made it the star of his dinner party. I was very nervous, because I haven't cooked one yet, but it was great, with a pork & venison stuffing, assorted root vegetables & peanut soup. A very traditional menu, it was good to have a true heritage bird on the table.

Back
Top Bottom