Fart egg and speckled eggs

kmisscluck

Chirping
Sep 20, 2016
Broomfield, CO
E85BEA50-32CC-4B2A-BDE5-601BBA826021.jpeg
I have a lavender Orpington who has laid daily and is healthy and her eggs have always been speckled. She is about a year and a half old . Today she laid a fart egg. Her eggs have a tiny blood spot on yoke every now and then . Is there a nutrient or health issue? They get layered feed, free range daily , dried worms and sunflowers, oyster shell, and we do have well water (it’s pretty hard). Maybe too much calcium?? The other hens eggs are fine a nice peach color, white and olive .

Blood spots inside are usually from ruptured blood vessels or just some extra stuff added from the oviduct. I see more blood in eggs from chickens that were a bit too active the day before, or that went running or flying away from me or some other disturbance.

Speckles on the outside of eggs is a hens personal thing. Some birds have them most don't. I personally like them.

Last edited:
I agree with all the above. And i love speckled eggs too, this small tan egg has tiny spots , the one above the green one, on the left, its from one of my cochins, or brahma bantams, i havent been able to figure out who it is,
and the brown speckle on the second from right is from my cuckoo maran (hatchery quality so its not very dark)
Screenshot_2018-10-02-08-26-29.png

Back
Top Bottom