Faulty Hens......

mertzy1963

Songster
Jun 21, 2017
My hens are almost 7 months old and I still haven't gotten any eggs, my other half says they better hurry up or we are going to have a lot of chicken soup! LOL......I have 3 Golden Wyndottes and 3 Buff Orpingtons, Started them on layer feed 3 weeks ago, also have oyster shell out for them, they are all healthy, and they have been doing the squats when I pet them for about a month now, they have been nosing around in the nest boxes also.......ugh......the waiting is killing me........I'm thinking the are faulty.....lol

My hens are almost 7 months old and I still haven't gotten any eggs, my other half says they better hurry up or we are going to have a lot of chicken soup! LOL......I have 3 Golden Wyndottes and 3 Buff Orpingtons, Started them on layer feed 3 weeks ago, also have oyster shell out for them, they are all healthy, and they have been doing the squats when I pet them for about a month now, they have been nosing around in the nest boxes also.......ugh......the waiting is killing me........I'm thinking the are faulty.....lol

Is it possible they are laying eggs where you can't find them? Do they free-range?

7 months??? WOW, Should have seen eggs by 20 weeks. Go to the feed store and get some ceramic eggs and pot them in the nesting box. Sometimes it helps.

If it was just one chicken I would say she was egg bound. But 6 at one time, not likely. Be patient. Does your husband golf? Put a few white golf balls in there and see if that helps.

They need to be on chick feed until the actually start laying. The layer rations don't typically have enough protein for crowing chickens "yes at 7 months they are not done growing/maturing yet". This protein deficiency will throw off their development.

If it was just one chicken I would say she was egg bound. But 6 at one time, not likely. Be patient. Does your husband golf? Put a few white golf balls in there and see if that helps.
I have a golf ball in all the nesting boxes.....

They need to be on chick feed until the actually start laying. The layer rations don't typically have enough protein for crowing chickens "yes at 7 months they are not done growing/maturing yet". This protein deficiency will throw off their development.
I posted awhile back about changing over to layer when they were 20 weeks and several people said it would be ok......now I think I made a mistake doing that!

Back
Top Bottom