Faverolles Bred back to Dorking project

This is from the Dorking club website... I hope no one minds my sharing it here:

General Characteristics

The Dorking Fowl

The Dorking is one of the most ancient of all domesticated races of poultry. It was brought to Great Britain by the Romans with Julius Caesar, but was known and described by the Roman writer Columella long before it became a poplar breed in England. He spoke of the hens as being ‘square framed, large and broad breasted, with big heads and small upright combs,’ adding ‘the purest breeds are five clawed.’

The Dorking was most certainly one of the first fowls brought to the Americas by our ancestors. It is primarily a dual purpose fowl used for both meat and egg production. The hens by nature are wonderful mothers and the cocks great protectors of their flock. The APA admitted the Silver Gray, Colored and White varieties into the American Standard of Perfection in 1874. Although the Red Dorking is the most ancient of the color varieties it was not admitted into the Standard until 1995. 1998 saw the admission of both the RC Cuckoo and the SC Cuckoo into The Standard of Perfection. Currently the Dorking Club is working toward admission of several other old color varieties.

General Characteristics

Male: Carriage: Quiet and stately, with breast well forward.
Type: Body massive, long and deep, rectangular in shape when viewed sideways, and tightly feathered. Back broad and moderately long with full saddle inclined downward to the tail. Breast deep and well rounded with a long keel bone. Wings large and well tucked up. Tail full and sweeping carried well out with abundant side hangers and broad well-curved sickles.
Head: Large and broad. Beak stout, well proportioned and slightly curved. Eyes full. Comb single or rose. The single comb is upright, moderately large, broad at the base, evenly serrated, free from side sprigs. The rose is moderately broad and square fronted, narrowing behind to a distinct and slightly upturned leader, the top covered with small points of even height. Face smooth. Earlobes moderately developed and hanging about one third the depth of the waddle, which are large and long.
Neck: Rather short, covered with abundant hackle feathers falling well over the back, making it appear extremely broad at the base, and tapering rapidly toward the head.
Legs and Feet: Legs short and strong. Thighs large and well developed but almost hidden by the body feathering. Shanks short, moderately stout and round, free from feathers, the spurs set on the inner side pointing inwards. Toes, five, large round and hard, the front toes (three) long and straight and well spread, the hind toe and the extra toe well formed and separated; the extra toe placed above and pointing upwards.
Female: The general characteristics are similar to those of the male, allowing for the natural sexual differences, except that the tail is carried rather closely. The single comb falls over one side of the face.

I just have to say that I love the fact that you are working so hard to get the Faverolles back to the basics of what they were originally bred for. I'm not all too familiar with Dorkings, how are they for layers?

I forgot to mention, the reason they are not widely known for their laying ability is because they tend to set after laying 50 - 75 eggs. They are well known for their mothering abilities and I have read that they will even steal other hens babies and accept new babies. I hope to bring back some of these qualities as well to to the Faverolles breed.

Hi there! I hadn't seen anything from you posted in so long I was wondering if you still had your Favs.

Keep us all updated on your project!

Will do. I would post more pictures but my phone is horrible, and I can't find the stupid cord to my ancient digital camera. Won't be able to get a new one until I get my taxes back. I have only had internet access at home since December, and only just upgraded to a nice lap top 2 weeks ago (thank you Nate!) . Hope to weigh and measure everyone this upcoming weekend and post it Sunday or Monday... and I have eggs finally from my new Dorkings:

I want to test them for fertility before jumping in full swing, and my son wants to have some for the fair so.... now I will have some Dorking chicks to hatch out in addition to all of my breeding programs LOL

Just a quick up date, they test breeding's are in the incubator and fertility looks to be a go. I will be doing a round of pedigreed pure breeding's first to have material for culling out breeding stock for next year, then I will begin the experimental matings. I hope to put the Dorking roo on all of my hens, except the pure Boulanger hen, to see where he performs best. The Dorking hens will be put with Black Jack, my HUGE pure Boulanger roo. Chicks, pullets only, will initially be selected for next years program based on weight and meatiness at 4 months of age... I will let you know how they taste after this first cull. Cockerels will be culled later, and I may or may not keep a couple for next years breeding season. Any suggestions for how to use the birds produced in this project up to and including recipes would be greatly appreciated.

OK the first pure Rose Comb Dorking chick hatched but was culled as it had stiff legs that did not support him- have no idea if it was genetic, but it was stressing so I put it down (and yes I tried a few things to help it improve first). It was a terrible dissapointment, and I am sure it was not incubation because the same set of eggs produced super nice Favs, and some super vigorous Buff Orpington chicks I hatched for a friend. The B.O. chicks were so active, I found myself wishing my favs were so feisty... hoping this won't become a regular thing. the other 2 eggs in this first set have not yet hatched, but I checked my notes and they are 18 hours behind- must have gotten excited and popped the first one in early. The other set has candled good for both hens so either way we are a go for project Faverolles X Dorking.

Which brings us to pens. I have put both girls in with Red Jack, my meatiest roo. In 17 days we will begin setting eggs for the first cross. I will keep everyone posted as to how things go... right now no one is happy, but I am hoping Red can win them over.

Some observations about the breed differences:
The Dorkings are a bit more nervous and flighty, they do not do well with too many changes at once where the Favs are more "whatever" about things. The Dorkings lay HUGE eggs compared to the Favs, and the eggs are a chalk white with no shine to them. The Dorking roo has been secretive about breeding his girls. Surprising because I have never observed this in any of the many breeds or mixes I have had over the years. He obviously has been breeding them as the eggs did not start coming until they had been here 3 weeks, yet in all the time I have had them, I have never once witnessed a breeding take place- knew they had because one of the girls had feathers missing on the back of her head, but never even saw him acting courtly toward them. I have seen some aggression toward the other roos, including some pretty intense fence fighting, but he eventually adjusted to his neighbors. None of the Dorkings have shown aggression toward myself or my son (thank goodness!) I would say overall they are more nervous and feisty than the Favs... which is no surprise really because Favs are so great when it comes to temperament.

Hmm..interesting...thanks for the update!!
pop.gif

OK the first pure Rose Comb Dorking chick hatched but was culled as it had stiff legs that did not support him- have no idea if it was genetic, but it was stressing so I put it down (and yes I tried a few things to help it improve first). It was a terrible dissapointment, and I am sure it was not incubation because the same set of eggs produced super nice Favs, and some super vigorous Buff Orpington chicks I hatched for a friend. The B.O. chicks were so active, I found myself wishing my favs were so feisty... hoping this won't become a regular thing. the other 2 eggs in this first set have not yet hatched, but I checked my notes and they are 18 hours behind- must have gotten excited and popped the first one in early. The other set has candled good for both hens so either way we are a go for project Faverolles X Dorking.

Which brings us to pens. I have put both girls in with Red Jack, my meatiest roo. In 17 days we will begin setting eggs for the first cross. I will keep everyone posted as to how things go... right now no one is happy, but I am hoping Red can win them over.

Some observations about the breed differences:
The Dorkings are a bit more nervous and flighty, they do not do well with too many changes at once where the Favs are more "whatever" about things. The Dorkings lay HUGE eggs compared to the Favs, and the eggs are a chalk white with no shine to them. The Dorking roo has been secretive about breeding his girls. Surprising because I have never observed this in any of the many breeds or mixes I have had over the years. He obviously has been breeding them as the eggs did not start coming until they had been here 3 weeks, yet in all the time I have had them, I have never once witnessed a breeding take place- knew they had because one of the girls had feathers missing on the back of her head, but never even saw him acting courtly toward them. I have seen some aggression toward the other roos, including some pretty intense fence fighting, but he eventually adjusted to his neighbors. None of the Dorkings have shown aggression toward myself or my son (thank goodness!) I would say overall they are more nervous and feisty than the Favs... which is no surprise really because Favs are so great when it comes to temperament.

Hi, Thanks for sharing this project and it seems that many of us will be enjoying this with You. Agree about Joseph at Yellow House....I have been following him for awhile also (Ancona's). He seems passionate about doing the right thing.....I too have a few Dorkings (1 rose comb red and 2 rose comb black from Sandhill....cannot say they are quality or not but do enjoy them... It has been mentioned that they can go broody right when you wish they would lay eggs but mine haven't yet. I had a male for awhile and he was similar in personality to my Fav. boys...
eliz

Back
Top Bottom