• Yes! They are amazing!

Votes: 74 62.7%
  • No

Votes: 20 16.9%
  • I really want some!

Votes: 32 27.1%

• Total voters
Pics
Yay I get to join the Faverolles club! This is Starla. She is 3 weeks old and is really sweet. Got her from Meyer Hatchery. 🥰
signal-2022-10-03-17-11-35-924.jpg

I noticed her feet seemed a little weird and she struggles with balance compared to other chicks I have. It seems her back toes stick into the air and do not make contact with the ground. I imagine that's why it's so difficult for her to perch like the other birds. I've never had this breed before so could you guys look at this and tell me if this is normal or a deformity?
signal-2022-10-03-17-11-46-817.jpg
signal-2022-10-03-17-11-59-605.jpg

I don't really think these photos do it justice now that I look at them again. The longer back toe sticks nearly straight upwards and the shorter one is too high to make ground contact. It might look like the shorter one is touching the ground but it isn't.

Please let me know what you think!

Yay I get to join the Faverolles club! This is Starla. She is 3 weeks old and is really sweet. Got her from Meyer Hatchery. 🥰
View attachment 3279738

I noticed her feet seemed a little weird and she struggles with balance compared to other chicks I have. It seems her back toes stick into the air and do not make contact with the ground. I imagine that's why it's so difficult for her to perch like the other birds. I've never had this breed before so could you guys look at this and tell me if this is normal or a deformity? View attachment 3279739View attachment 3279741

I don't really think these photos do it justice now that I look at them again. The longer back toe sticks nearly straight upwards and the shorter one is too high to make ground contact.

She is adorable!! But I do agree, that she appears to have a foot issue. It's almost like she has overly short tendons or something. I'm sure she can manage to live that way, but you might have it looked at by a vet to be sure! Maybe she just wants to be a chicken ballerina :)

She is adorable!! But I do agree, that she appears to have a foot issue. It's almost like she has overly short tendons or something. I'm sure she can manage to live that way, but you might have it looked at by a vet to be sure! Maybe she just wants to be a chicken ballerina :)
Haha that's a funny way to put it! I'll use that from now. Starla the beautiful ballerina!

But in all seriousness, I think you could be right. The tendons may be short. I've seen people use pipe cleaners and such to straighten bent toes. Do you think I could try something like that to attempt to bring the toe down? Or maybe that would be painful? I'll accommodate her however she needs but around here I generally have to go with at-home solutions due to barely any chicken vets around.

Haha that's a funny way to put it! I'll use that from now. Starla the beautiful ballerina!

But in all seriousness, I think you could be right. The tendons may be short. I've seen people use pipe cleaners and such to straighten bent toes. Do you think I could try something like that to attempt to bring the toe down? Or maybe that would be painful? I'll accommodate her however she needs but around here I generally have to go with at-home solutions due to barely any chicken vets around.
Yes, she might even need a little tutu :D

I am not sure, it could be a bit painful...maybe some daily stretches? Like a physical therapist might? Soak her little feeties in some epsom salt water and then massage the feet and legs and slowly and carefully try straightening things out with her feet? If it's fairly pliable then maybe wrapping and splinting would do some good? If it's really tight and stiff, you might work on the massage and slow path for a while and see if you make some progress loosening things up? I would also post on the Health and Emergencies forum and see if anyone has experienced it before and has other ideas? I know catching it early is definitely ideal!

View attachment 3279738

I noticed her feet seemed a little weird and she struggles with balance compared to other chicks I have. It seems her back toes stick into the air and do not make contact with the ground. I imagine that's why it's so difficult for her to perch like the other birds. I've never had this breed before so could you guys look at this and tell me if this is normal or a deformity? View attachment 3279739View attachment 3279741

I don't really think these photos do it justice now that I look at them again. The longer back toe sticks nearly straight upwards and the shorter one is too high to make ground contact. It might look like the shorter one is touching the ground but it isn't.

All my Faverolles have had the weird sticking out toes. Seems normal to me.

Yes, she might even need a little tutu :D

I am not sure, it could be a bit painful...maybe some daily stretches? Like a physical therapist might? Soak her little feeties in some epsom salt water and then massage the feet and legs and slowly and carefully try straightening things out with her feet? If it's fairly pliable then maybe wrapping and splinting would do some good? If it's really tight and stiff, you might work on the massage and slow path for a while and see if you make some progress loosening things up? I would also post on the Health and Emergencies forum and see if anyone has experienced it before and has other ideas? I know catching it early is definitely ideal!
Hahaha omg yes she does need a tutu for sure. And thanks for the ideas! I never thought about stretching her but maybe that would be a really good place to start. And the epsom soaks. I'll still post in the other section as well just to see if others have ideas.
All my Faverolles have had the weird sticking out toes. Seems normal to me.
Your Faverolles back toes don't touch the ground and stick up? When they got older, were they able to roost? That's my main concern. Right now her non-Faverolles chick sisters are roosting and perching on everything in sight, but Starla just can't balance on stuff like that, and prefers to walk on flat ground. That's normal for the breed?

Hahaha omg yes she does need a tutu for sure. And thanks for the ideas! I never thought about stretching her but maybe that would be a really good place to start. And the epsom soaks. I'll still post in the other section as well just to see if others have ideas.

Your Faverolles back toes don't touch the ground and stick up? When they got older, were they able to roost? That's my main concern. Right now her non-Faverolles chick sisters are roosting and perching on everything in sight, but Starla just can't balance on stuff like that, and prefers to walk on flat ground. That's normal for the breed?
Well I hope @Silkie Princess is right! I don’t recall mine ever standing that erect but it’s always possible! 😁

Back
Top Bottom