Faverolles Thread

I have several roos - and the SF is the most vocal
hmm.png
.... I'm not sure if it's a "competition" thing among the roos, but he's got a good set of lungs....

My two boys are pretty vocal also. They go on either end of the property or onto the and yell back and forth to each other pretty much all day long. LOL I know where both of them are all the time though. LOL

Hi all!
I am new to chickens and chose to get some Faverolles. They were at my local Orchelen's store. I was against buying something from a large production-based hatchery, but I knew how rare Faverolles are.
I got three guaranteed pullets. However, one has feathered out to have a whitish neck and black and brown mottled feathers-a boy, I think. What do I do? I love them all. This bird has a very "peckish" personality.
My husband said no roosters. I don't want the remote possibility of fertile eggs. However, I may want to breed Faverolles because they are so rare. I'd considered just where I'd get a rooster if I decide this...serendipity I suppose. I'm also the sort of gal that hates to ever rehome.

Some questions for the experienced keepers-
Do mis-sexings happen often at large hatcheries?!
Are faverolles males loud? Is there anything I can do to keep them quiet?
Can they be permanently divided from the hens or would that make them "sad"?

Thanks for any and all help, I love these Faverolles already, even though this adds a bit of a stressful situation to the experience.
Hello, i do like to allow roo's with hens even if i don't keep the eggs to hatch....They are the watchers of the flock and try to protect them from harm....Think the keeping the roos and flock in a sound resistant area during sleeping hours is good when close to neighbors where they cannot be heard is respectful....even hens can create a racket when disturbed or see something they think is scary. I understand if you have moral feelings about fertile eggs......but they cannot develop without the right circumstances.
I love roosters.....eliz

HI, did you buy your chicks locally or did you send for them from a hatchery????? Most of the farm stores near me will take and give credit or exchange for another chick for roo's if purchased from them......eliz
That is overall really disappointing. I think, if I paid for a pullet, I should have a pullet, lol!! It's very misleading of those companies.I suppose I should have known not to get one with dark feathers, but I really thought it was going to be a black faverolle.

Basically, I have a few problems with roosters even though I personally like them. No one in my entire town has ever asked city hall about chickens, apparently in the history of the whole town we are the first to keep chickens! I asked and they said they have to be very quiet. In this town, the only noise is the occasional bark of a dog-it is eerie quiet and I think a rooster could very easily set us up for a noise complaint. I don't want to deal with the town's 3 cops telling me to cook my bird!

Other than that, my husband has frequent powerful migranes that are triggered by anything, and he finds crowing to be very abrasive. I don't want the bird triggering any problems for hubs.

I suppose yes, we'd be out there collecting eggs each day. Last year we tried farm eggs and when we were preparing breakfast, we opened an egg and it was literally a dead, fully grown chick. It was very disgusting, needless to say we didn't need breakfast that day. To think that egg was 21 days old before we bought it makes me think that those people were not using good practices to begin with. Ew! I suppose that experience has stuck with me.

Thank you everyone for answering! I really appreciate it and it's given me a lot to think over.

Here is Faith she is molting very late and is the Roosters favorite girl, she was mad at me for shooing her off of the eggs but here she is she looked just like your chick when she was little but i can't find her baby pics. here she is now missing a a lot of feathers but you can see her color.
OH thank you for the pics. It's nice to see what she could possibly look like:)

My Amy, is a hatchery SF. She is about 9/10 weeks When the other gals are running around the garden, many times she will just sit in a corner and watch them. Is this a common trait with SF? She seems sooo mellow compared to the rest.

Back
Top Bottom