Faverolles Thread

Just wish to thank Mia (Poularde) for allowing me to bring home her LF Favarolles.....I know it was a hard decision for her to let them go...... So i now have 3 beautiful hens from Jeanine (Finally-VBG) and a lovely group from Pasofino......Yeah.....THANKYOU AGAIN, Mia....eliz

Thank you, Eliz. I had a nice visit with you. I do miss my Favs. I am just so happy they went to so someone who appreciates them. I believe they will have a good home!
frow.gif

Here is my 5/6 week old Salmon Faverolle. Any thoughts on gender? Or any other thoughts on coloring ect?

Here is Faith she is molting very late and is the Roosters favorite girl, she was mad at me for shooing her off of the eggs but here she is she looked just like your chick when she was little but i can't find her baby pics. here she is now missing a a lot of feathers but you can see her color.

Hi all!
I am new to chickens and chose to get some Faverolles. They were at my local Orchelen's store. I was against buying something from a large production-based hatchery, but I knew how rare Faverolles are.
I got three guaranteed pullets. However, one has feathered out to have a whitish neck and black and brown mottled feathers-a boy, I think. What do I do? I love them all. This bird has a very "peckish" personality.
My husband said no roosters. I don't want the remote possibility of fertile eggs. However, I may want to breed Faverolles because they are so rare. I'd considered just where I'd get a rooster if I decide this...serendipity I suppose. I'm also the sort of gal that hates to ever rehome.

Some questions for the experienced keepers-
Do mis-sexings happen often at large hatcheries?!
Are faverolles males loud? Is there anything I can do to keep them quiet?
Can they be permanently divided from the hens or would that make them "sad"?

Thanks for any and all help, I love these Faverolles already, even though this adds a bit of a stressful situation to the experience.

Hi all!
I am new to chickens and chose to get some Faverolles. They were at my local Orchelen's store. I was against buying something from a large production-based hatchery, but I knew how rare Faverolles are.
I got three guaranteed pullets. However, one has feathered out to have a whitish neck and black and brown mottled feathers-a boy, I think. What do I do? I love them all. This bird has a very "peckish" personality.
My husband said no roosters. I don't want the remote possibility of fertile eggs. However, I may want to breed Faverolles because they are so rare. I'd considered just where I'd get a rooster if I decide this...serendipity I suppose. I'm also the sort of gal that hates to ever rehome.

Thanks for any and all help, I love these Faverolles already, even though this adds a bit of a stressful situation to the experience.

Yes, mis-sexings are part of the business. Most hatcheries only guarantee 90% accuracy so one in ten is likely to be a cockerel. And I don't know if they do this differently for corporate accounts, but any time I've ordered from a hatchery, they've thrown in some extra cockerels as packing peanuts (they can't sell them all, anyway, it helps keep everyone warm and I always feel like I'm getting a nice surprise).

You can divide them from the hens. We're going to be doing that when our breeding flock gets old enough to start breeding. I would keep them where they can see the others, though, so they aren't so lonely. It might actually be better to get another rooster to keep him company, but I'm not sure. We have two roosters just because they're too busy worrying about eachother to bother my children at all.

And roosters crow. We have not yet had a faverolles male, but it will crow. I like the sound. I fail to see what people find so objectionable. They aren't like dogs that get yapping. They don't crow constantly and they don't crow at 2AM. And it is such a lovely sound! But I'm weird. So if you can't have a rooster, they can be hard to hide. But then I know there are people on here that have them where they aren't technically supposed to and haven't had problems. In a garage, they'll scarcely be heard.

Hi Tinychicks -

I am also trying to keep a Faverolles rooster, without disturbing neighbors. My first rooster was from the lovely Terry Gerow flock in Canada. Walter was very quiet, and crowed only when he could see a bright light - headlights across the street, my back porch light, the rising sun. So we installed an automatic door opener so the birds could only come out of the coop well after sunrise - so after 8 am - and after that we heard virtually no crowing.

Walter died, however, so last week I drove out to Ron Patterson's to pick up a new rooster. This guy is very curious and clever (we named him Einstein), but at only 12 weeks I can tell he has the capacity to be very vocal when disturbed. One morning last week the timer got bumped, such that the birds were out before 6 am - and sure enough he crowed. Timer is fixed now, and again, we haven't had a problem with crowing.

At the moment this seems like a solvable problem - but given the kinds of stories other folks tell about roosters, maybe it is only a matter of time before I am made to understand that roosters can not be accommodated in my neighborhood. We'll see. Once you've had a rooster it's hard to go back; the flock just seems healthier socially with a rooster around.

Hi all!

Sexing mistakes do happen. Most hatcheries guarantee 90% accuracy. While it sounds like it's a roo, hatcheries have been putting out some awful colored pullets lately, so there's still a chance it's a pullet.

All roosters crow. Some more than others.You can divide him from the hens but he will need a friend. Chickens need company.

Why do you not want any chance of fertile eggs? Nothing will start to develop unless a hen sits on one for days and days. As long as you collect the eggs daily you'll never know the difference between a fertilized egg and an unfertilized one.

That is overall really disappointing. I think, if I paid for a pullet, I should have a pullet, lol!! It's very misleading of those companies.I suppose I should have known not to get one with dark feathers, but I really thought it was going to be a black faverolle.

Basically, I have a few problems with roosters even though I personally like them. No one in my entire town has ever asked city hall about chickens, apparently in the history of the whole town we are the first to keep chickens! I asked and they said they have to be very quiet. In this town, the only noise is the occasional bark of a dog-it is eerie quiet and I think a rooster could very easily set us up for a noise complaint. I don't want to deal with the town's 3 cops telling me to cook my bird!

Other than that, my husband has frequent powerful migranes that are triggered by anything, and he finds crowing to be very abrasive. I don't want the bird triggering any problems for hubs.

I suppose yes, we'd be out there collecting eggs each day. Last year we tried farm eggs and when we were preparing breakfast, we opened an egg and it was literally a dead, fully grown chick. It was very disgusting, needless to say we didn't need breakfast that day. To think that egg was 21 days old before we bought it makes me think that those people were not using good practices to begin with. Ew! I suppose that experience has stuck with me.

Thank you everyone for answering! I really appreciate it and it's given me a lot to think over.

here are the babies from dinamoe- so how many girls does a fav cockerel need? since i have two pairs i am trying to decide whether i need to sell one of the boys>

here are my girls, and the boys

the boys.....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom