Faverolles Thread

Here is my Salmon Faverolle, Chewy. He/she was from My Pet Chicken and is obviously hatchery quality. Do you people think she is a pullet, or a cockerel? BTW, are his/her toes crooked?

In the top pic there seems to be a crooked toe (the back foot). I wouldn't worry about the curvy looking toes. It won't affect her.

If she's getting around just fine you don't have to do that. Over the years I've had a few birds with crooked toes and they never knew anything was different about them.

Then you may want to try to fix the one toe then. Too bad you're too far from me, I have extra pullets you could use for 4-H.

I have no more room anyway. I have 9 chicks. I'm approaching my town limit of 12. I can use my others for 4-H though. Plus, I take my rabbit showing more seriously. The poultry shows are for when I have time. One toe on each foot is crooked. Thanks for the offer though.

That is overall really disappointing. I think, if I paid for a pullet, I should have a pullet, lol!! It's very misleading of those companies.I suppose I should have known not to get one with dark feathers, but I really thought it was going to be a black faverolle.

Basically, I have a few problems with roosters even though I personally like them. No one in my entire town has ever asked city hall about chickens, apparently in the history of the whole town we are the first to keep chickens! I asked and they said they have to be very quiet. In this town, the only noise is the occasional bark of a dog-it is eerie quiet and I think a rooster could very easily set us up for a noise complaint. I don't want to deal with the town's 3 cops telling me to cook my bird!

Other than that, my husband has frequent powerful migranes that are triggered by anything, and he finds crowing to be very abrasive. I don't want the bird triggering any problems for hubs.

I suppose yes, we'd be out there collecting eggs each day. Last year we tried farm eggs and when we were preparing breakfast, we opened an egg and it was literally a dead, fully grown chick. It was very disgusting, needless to say we didn't need breakfast that day. To think that egg was 21 days old before we bought it makes me think that those people were not using good practices to begin with. Ew! I suppose that experience has stuck with me.

Thank you everyone for answering! I really appreciate it and it's given me a lot to think over.
You know I have had that experience too only difference is that the eggs were store bought. Yes it is very disgusting and disturbing that the eggs were that old and obviously they had not checked very carefully that there was a Roo in the bunch. I have a Rooster in every pen, all pets all named and all non aggressive, they do still crow infact i had to move all my birds to another location because of one neighbor who hadn't even moved in yet complaining about the noise and the smell. Saying that i did not take care of my animals, cops came over and checked and said your dong nothing wrong it's not against the law to have a rooster or chickens but because of the recent noise ordinance you must remove all boy unless you can keep them quiet, your animals are healthy and well taken care of. The smell came from the creek that flooded twice and come to find out a neighbor about three houses down with some properly had been burning his garbage and leaving dead critters next to the creek on his property and as the creek floods it washed down our way and all the backyards stink. Because My Roos Are pets and part of the family i asked my Cousin if i could house them there temporarily until we finished moving. it's heartbreaking to hear that you have to get rid of a beloved pet especially when all your other neighbors would come over talk to and want to learn more about them. I was lucky t have a cousin ho is a chicken lover who only lives 15 minutes away.
But if yours does become loud you can always find someone who will take him not for meat but as a pet with a flock of his own, it's still hard to do but their is a sense of peace knowing he will be in good hands with girls and the free ability to crow as much as he wants.

Back
Top Bottom