Faverolles Thread

Never bred from a hen with black in the beard. This will force you into two lines males and females. The black is hard to get rid of. Darker hens will produce better cockerals though. Be careful!!

Well that is how you get good males, good females need to be sired by a roo with lighter colors in the wings then is desirable. If you do not at least occasionally use hens with these beard color issues you will eventually wind up with an all pullet line, and all of your cockerels will have poor wing color
wink.png

The SOP was written before genetics were clearly understood in many breeds/colors, dual mating is commonplace in Europe with spectacular results in some lines and breeds. I do not understand why American breeders fear it so much.

Last edited:
I don't fear it, its just a PIA. Some of us like to KISS... not me clearly because I have ... about 15 cock/erels here now. That's not even counting 'might be's in the chick deparment. Can we say, "down size?"
tongue.png

No Favs hatching yet. Not sure why.

I have been breeding favs for quite some time never used two lines. Not saying it's wrong just another perspective.What I have found is that you get a wide range of color if you use a very broad gene pool. I stay away from birds that don't remotely meet the standard. Sometimes you can only breed to what you have.

Check back on earlier post from Peter he has light and dark males coming out of his breeding pens. The lighter the pullet the better (for showing). My suggestion is you stay away from extremes on both ends. The favs have so many items to look at it is hard enough just getting close to the standard some times. I have seen males similar to one being discussed win champion cont.

I still haven't raised the perfect bird but that's what makes it fun. No right or wrong answer here just my thoughts.

Very normal most likely cockerals.

Great, thank you very much!

Thanks for all the breeding talk. Since this is my starter flock, I am just using what I have, though this newly hatched bunch will be a great lift to any future breeding program. I hatched out some buff faverolles last month, but sold them as pets since they where going to need A TON of work (lots had just 4 toes) and decided for the sanity of my husband, I didn't need to take on that big of a project until I can support my chicken addiction with sales. I still plan on trying to improve my flock, but it won't w nearly as hard as finding new blood and breeding out flaws of buffs. At least all these hatched with five toes :lol:

Thanks again! I always check and lurk this board when I see new posts have been added. I might be a geek, cuz I love to learn as much as I can, even if I am not a big breeder or anything!

So, just had a great first hatch of SF. I have a question though. Two have some dark smutty markings, is that normal?
1F004C38-75BA-4E44-9CFA-976BE3694C10-544-000000B481E308BA.jpg

A921F564-9D3E-4220-9FED-65A1D1ECD2B6-544-000000B4885AEDEA.jpg
HI, well, let us know what they look like as they grow......Don't remember my LF having extra color but that doesn't mean they don't and think i have seen some lighter coloration in the bantams. Is there a chance that another Roo could have had contact for just a moment???? they are sort of like dogs and cats....mixed litters with different dads..........They are so fluffy & cute.....

Hi I'm going to be getting some SF chicks soon and I'm going to quite enjoy them growing up
smile.png
I'm in 4-H and was wondering if someone could enlighten me on the SOP for the Salmon Faves? I'd like to show the best pullet when they're older.

Last edited:
Hi I'm going to be getting some SF chicks soon and I'm going to quite enjoy them growing up
smile.png
I'm in 4-H and was wondering if someone could enlighten me on the SOP for the Salmon Faves? I'd like to show the best pullet when they're older.
There is a person who is in 4-H in Jupiter, FL who won with their SF> I just got some eggs from them on Ebay. You could look that person up and ask them.

Back
Top Bottom