Faverolles Thread

Quote:
hit.gif
My favorite up & coming guy (named GQ) just bit my son yesterday (when he caught him to hug)... he is the best son of Fractious Germaine... the above mentioned 'Buffington' Roo.

He's scheduled to go breed hens for someone down the highway, & is supposed to come back after 4 months... she has Marek's survivors & he is not vaccinated... should I let him come back?

Quote:
hit.gif
My favorite up & coming guy (named GQ) just bit my son yesterday (when he caught him to hug)... he is the best son of Fractious Germaine... the above mentioned 'Buffington' Roo.

He's scheduled to go breed hens for someone down the highway, & is supposed to come back after 4 months... she has Marek's survivors & he is not vaccinated... should I let him come back?

I would most definitely not....but then I wouldn't send off my favorite roo to someone that has Mareks at their place at all...

Last edited:
I am a lurker here for the most part (and very much a novice) but I agree, he is sold or doesn't go at all. I had to learn the hard way about biosecurity.
old.gif

Quote:
hit.gif

No if you do there is a good chance he will bring it back in or something else and you could loose your whole flock. 100% no.

Henry

Quote:
Henry,

The blue and black Faverolle LF I have are a result of what I know as line breeding. Breeding Uncles to nieces. This breeding is done not just for color, but for type as well. At least that is what I have done and is my understanding of line breeding. But I could be wrong on that...my method and/or terminology could be wrong.

Pamela

Sorry what I meant to say was double mating one pen to produce cockerels and one pen to produce pullets. Stupid me no I understand the concept of line breeding and will certainly use it.

GQ stays here then. Thanks all. My brain was trying to tell me that as well. Just not worth the risk.

And, good news... I am getting Claudel's 2 younger male relatives (full brothers I hope) at the Stockton show Jan 29th. No pics til I get there though.

Thanks again!

Laurie

I may have spoken wrong. I am line breeding. We have kept typically three to 5 cockerels a year and carry over the best two cock birds. We usually put one male to 4 or 5 females and set up at least two groups a year. We pick males And females out of the same breeding. If I was being perfectly honest I pick more for males than females. Dad pays a little more attention to the females. However, the last two years the darker breasted females sort of snuck up on us. We have eliminated the worst females in hopes of not perpetuating the problem.

Back
Top Bottom