Faverolles Thread

Thanks so much Peter it is a great post. I haven't seen the results of line breeding for color directly but I am sure its all well and good. The question I have about it goes back to form and function. Those using Faverolles at meat birds wouldn't have line bred its something we would do simply out of desire to win as shows. The idea of winning at shows is not something I am adverse to at all in fact your example of your many championships with birds that were bred from birds form both extremes of color is a good example of a great feat of breeding and exhibiting.

I feel like I might not want to do the line breeding when I get birds again I would want to use birds from both extremes like you have and hope that my line would produce both rich males and acceptably colored females.

Still today if I post on other threads or talk to anyone at the APA about Faverolles You, Dick, and Sharon as always brought up! They always say that you three had some of the best poultry around and they really admired your Faverolles. I love to be able to tell them well at least Peter and Dick are still at it and the birds are looking great
big_smile.png

Henry

Quote:
Henry,

The blue and black Faverolle LF I have are a result of what I know as line breeding. Breeding Uncles to nieces. This breeding is done not just for color, but for type as well. At least that is what I have done and is my understanding of line breeding. But I could be wrong on that...my method and/or terminology could be wrong.

Pamela

Quote:
Great post Pete. I know what I have been doing over the years and speaking about "double mating" is something I want to try, but on a small scale. I don't know what the outcome will be. And as you stated about having a cockerel line and a pullet line how will they breed when you cross them, I don't know. People have said when you cross a cockerel from your cockerel line and pullets from your pullet line you end up with crap. Very possible, but I don't know of anyone that has done it in this country so I can't say I've seen the results. I want to see the results. On my part it might be a lot of wasted time and a lot of wasted birds, but I want to see for myself. I hope people don't take me wrong, I'm not insisting that they have to "double mate", I'm just speaking my thoughts. You are correct in saying we have done well in the past with our birds here in the USA.
In my part on "double mating", well, I'd like to just call it an experiment.
Dick

Quote:
X3! What a treat! Thank you Peter for sharing that with us. I have copied and saved this to my personal Faverolles Files for future reference (probably will refer to it daily just to enjoy the pics again).

I have a question for Leisha, Dick and Peter. How many roosters (of a specific variety) do you normally keep for breeding purposes? Or does this number change according to your goals?

For me it depends on how many you hatch and how much space you have. For myself on large salmons I'll keep 2 or three cockerels,on large salmons from last years breeding I kept three. From the year before I kept 2. Late winter I got rid of one and kept what I felt was the best one. But the one I kept became very nasty, he stated hitting me every time I went in the pen. Till one day I was either tired from work or not in the right mood, I went in to feed my birds and I was waiting for him......caught him in mid air...needless to say he's not with me anymore. HA It really depends on how much space you have and in my case how many colors you have going.
Dick

Quote:
I might have some white bantam Faverolles eggs late spring/early summer. I feel now a lot of people are breeding for the Crossroad show.
Dick

Thank you, I will contact you in the Spring and check then. If it would help, I am hoping to hatch two pullets for my flock and would be willing to ship
any other chicks successfully hatched back to the breeder. I would like to add two white and two blue pullets to my small flock of bantams.
I have a small Brinsea and can incubate seven Faverolles eggs.

Jeanne

WOW!

The richness of colors, on both males and females really stands out! Are you trying to breed out the "lace" out of them or trying to keep them in Simms lines?

The pullets are just downright goreous, I like the light salmon colors, reminds me of a lady's face powder puff as she puts on her make up.......the color on the puff and the lightness of it as she applies her make up......

Has anyone brought back Sim's granddaughter back to a Britboi's son (not Simms)? I know it is way off the chart or Britboi son, other than Simm, to be used for the granddaughters or great granddaughters? Peter, if I remember correctly, I know that Britboi was deceased.

I just LOVE the pedigree ideas and I didn't know you are doing that! I know probably all of your stock would just have their sire's names and not their dam's names if you had more than two in the pen unless you do some pair breedings to get the exact parentages.

It is amazing how one would work in extreme differences and get some reaaaaaallly nice birds! And they can be forgiven if it was not all what you wanted out of the one particular cross, by starting all over and finding the right "click" for the crosses.

Quote:
X3! What a treat! Thank you Peter for sharing that with us. I have copied and saved this to my personal Faverolles Files for future reference (probably will refer to it daily just to enjoy the pics again).

I have a question for Leisha, Dick and Peter. How many roosters (of a specific variety) do you normally keep for breeding purposes? Or does this number change according to your goals?

For me it depends on how many you hatch and how much space you have. For myself on large salmons I'll keep 2 or three cockerels,on large salmons from last years breeding I kept three. From the year before I kept 2. Late winter I got rid of one and kept what I felt was the best one. But the one I kept became very nasty, he stated hitting me every time I went in the pen. Till one day I was either tired from work or not in the right mood, I went in to feed my birds and I was waiting for him......caught him in mid air...needless to say he's not with me anymore. HA It really depends on how much space you have and in my case how many colors you have going.
Dick

I don't blame you for putting that roo down. Aggressive roos were never liked on my yard. Stewpot they go!

I wanted to comment on Peter's post. It was great! He made a couple of really good points about getting a rare breed on champion row. It first starts in the breeding pen. You have to start from quality stock. Hatch like crazy. The two most important things when exhibiting birds in any breed or color is CONDITIONING and NUMBERS! Especially with rare varieties/breeds. Many people have purchased birds from quality breeders and are upset that they can't get them on champion row....you have to condition.
He mentioned Dick's ability to produce some of the nicest awards a club can have. The awards I have seen him come up with have been top notch. Nobody else comes close as far as producing unique and meaningful awards. Thanks Dick.
We also do what Peter does with pen breeding. One problem I would like to mention and maybe get some answers to from Dick or Peter is female coloring. The salmon is starting to run down into the breast color where it should be creamy white. I never breed from males with color in their breast. It has to be black. So is there something else to look for in males that I am missing?
I will try to get a couple of pics from Grassbaugh and Poultry Press to show off a couple of our winning males. I rarely win with the females.

Jonathan

Quote:
After reading what you wrote, and getting a 'Buffington" (light) & a 'Boulanger"(dark or rich) roo, I set up a pullet pen & a cockerel pen. Now all the hens & pullets are going in with Claudel before he leaves; will see what I get.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom