Faverolles Thread

There actually aren't as many breeders as you might think.  Certainly not the numbers of people who breed, say, wyandottes or orpingtons or Ameraucanas.  Many of the true heritage breeds are listed as more rare than these breeds.  Also, it may be because they are difficult to breed to standard, with so many pieces to get right.

But, they are the sweetest birds!  They have more personality than all of my other breeds.  Nothing not to like!

I've known people who have decided against them simply because their eggs tend to be smaller than other breeds or the modern hybrids.

Hello everyone! I just wanted to introduce myself and my LF Salmon Faverolles. This is "Derp" the rooster. He earned his name as a chick, long before I found out about "Derperella"
tongue.png

This is a picture of Derp and Penny. Unfortunately we lost Penny a few months ago...

....but not before hatching out some of their offspring!

This pretty girl doesn't have a name yet!
big_smile.png

Right now the only Faverolles I have is Derp and his chicks (2 Girls, 4 Boys), but I've got 2 dozen Faverolles eggs coming in the mail next week! Hoping to hatch these out then hatch out some nice blue wheaten Ameraucanas to add to the flock so I can also also breed "Favaucana" Easter Eggers.
Nice looking birds. Keep in mind that Ameraucanas can tend to be a bit bossy and with the Faverolles so docile. There is a good chance the Favs will get bullied in that mixed flock. I have to say I am rather puzzled and disappointed at your mention of crossing two nice breeds to create mutts. Favaucana is NOT a breed and really shouldn't be referred to as such.
I hope ya don't mind me showing some of my birds.

This is Fudge and Peaches Yes they are mine!

And here is a full body shot of fudge.

I got them both from CLoverleaf Farm in Canby Or. I also have Bantam Salmon Faverolles.

Pullet from my breeding, Owned by Mary Hussey, took reserve continental at Northeastern Poultry Congress 2014 This is a shot of one of my breeder hens, showing how wide and massive this line is. A 5 month old cockerel with the basketball for scale. My 4 year old hen that took first in her class at Northeastern Poultry Congress 2013 Random shot of two of my birds enjoying some pumpkin. 6 month old pullets out enjoying the weather last fall. These gals are all working in the breeding pens this year. Pullets washed and drying getting ready for a show. Shot is to show beard/head width. 2012 cockerel 2012 pullets (pardon the red tint my camera malfunctioned) 2012 cockerel 2013 cockerel I am taking a few more pre-orders of started trios. They are being sold in two grades; potential show for $125 for a 6 week old trio, and breeder quality for $75 a started trio. Prices do not include shipping or box fees, birds expected to begin shipping in late April. I only have reservations for 2 breeder trios and 1 potential show trio left. I cull down to the top 50% at the incubator so you can be certain only the very best will be shipped. Primary differences in the grades are toes; show potentialhave as close to ideal as I have been producing, breeder have good toe shape but less than ideal separation. Also I permit some beard smut and tail/wing smudges in breeder quality pullets (helps to keep the boys dark). If desired I can select breeder trios for either male or female coloring... but at the age they are selling at it would be only an educated guess on my part. All pre-orders will have photos sent to the owners before shipping- owners can choose to wait for another group if they wish.
Her SF's are gorgeous. I was lucky enough to get some eggs over the summer and have a very nice small flock started from them. Got a few extra roosters to let go, but got 3 lovely hens out of it too. :D

[Her SF's are gorgeous. I was lucky enough to get some eggs over the summer and have a very nice small flock started from them. Got a few extra roosters to let go, but got 3 lovely hens out of it too. :D[/quote]

Awww thanks

Nice looking birds. Keep in mind that Ameraucanas can tend to be a bit bossy and with the Faverolles so docile. There is a good chance the Favs will get bullied in that mixed flock. I have to say I am rather puzzled and disappointed at your mention of crossing two nice breeds to create mutts. Favaucana is NOT a breed and really shouldn't be referred to as such.

I did not mean that I was only going to be breeding for crossbreeds. I guess I did not word that correctly. I am going to be breeding both Ameraucanas and Salmon Faverolles, with the added benefit of the crosses between the two still being marketable as Easter Eggers sell extremely well in this area. This is a plus for me as I like to free range my birds as much as possible and together when possible. I am fully aware that a Favaucana is not a real breed. It is a nickname given to this particular Easter Egger cross, hence why I put the word Favaucana in quotation marks beside of Easter Egger. If I wanted to just breed crosses, I could throw in any old Faverolles and any old Ameraucana and call it a day but I am spending a lot of money to purchase beautiful, to standard, hatching eggs to begin my flocks with.

I am hoping that the Ameraucanas do not bully the Faverolles, but if that turns out to be the case I do have the ability to separate the two flocks. I am quite perplexed by everyone/everywhere saying that Faverolles are so docile because mine (at least the bloodline of them I have/had right now) do not seem to be overly docile and when I had my Faverolles hen she remained the top dog over my Ameraucana. Could this trait be somewhat dependent upon their bloodlines? I know that the stock I have right now were a cross between hatchery stock and a line from a local breeder.

Derp with my Ameraucana "Lucky" and Barred Rock "Girdie" free ranging on 4 acres
tongue.png

Edit: I'm going to be hatching out 2 dozen Salmon Faverolles on the March hatch-a-long thread if anyone wants to follow!

Last edited:
I did not mean that I was only going to be breeding for crossbreeds. I guess I did not word that correctly. I am going to be breeding both Ameraucanas and Salmon Faverolles, with the added benefit of the crosses between the two still being marketable as Easter Eggers sell extremely well in this area. This is a plus for me as I like to free range my birds as much as possible and together when possible. I am fully aware that a Favaucana is not a real breed. It is a nickname given to this particular Easter Egger cross, hence why I put the word Favaucana in quotation marks beside of Easter Egger. If I wanted to just breed crosses, I could throw in any old Faverolles and any old Ameraucana and call it a day but I am spending a lot of money to purchase beautiful, to standard, hatching eggs to begin my flocks with. I am hoping that the Ameraucanas do not bully the Faverolles, but if that turns out to be the case I do have the ability to separate the two flocks. I am quite perplexed by everyone/everywhere saying that Faverolles are so docile because mine (at least the bloodline of them I have/had right now) do not seem to be overly docile and when I had my Faverolles hen she remained the top dog over my Ameraucana. Could this trait be somewhat dependent upon their bloodlines? I know that the stock I have right now were a cross between hatchery stock and a line from a local breeder. Derp with my Ameraucana "Lucky" and Barred Rock "Girdie" free ranging on 4 acres :p Edit: I'm going to be hatching out 2 dozen Salmon Faverolles on the March hatch-a-long thread if anyone wants to follow!
Hatchery birds are often tougher then birds bred to the SOP as they often have other modern breeds in their ancestry they shouldn't to increase egg production. This is also why the hens are nearly always too dark.

I have one HQ salmon faverolle hen that gets picked on by everyone in her pen. She is too dark in coloring for sure. I also have a pair of bantam SFs that are by themselves and get along fine, before I seperated them, I let them run around in quarientine with others from the same show. Her and my white rock rooster got along great

Hatchery birds are often tougher then birds bred to the SOP as they often have other modern breeds in their ancestry they shouldn't to increase egg production. This is also why the hens are nearly always too dark.

That's interesting, thank you. It never even crossed my mind that hatcheries would purposely cross breed to increase egg production, but that does not surprise me.

@SkylinePoultry1 I think it is a fabulous idea. I saw those on mypetchicken. Since salmon Faverolles and americauna/ee are my favorite breeds. And how much other people and myself love different colored eggs. Once you do this, I would love to buy chicks or eggs from you.

I have one HQ salmon faverolle hen that gets picked on by everyone in her pen. She is too dark in coloring for sure. I also have a pair of bantam SFs that are by themselves and get along fine, before I seperated them, I let them run around in quarientine with others from the same show. Her and my white rock rooster got along great
those dark girls are often just the ticket for rich saturated color in their sons ;)

Back
Top Bottom