Faverolles Thread

Hi everyone! Brand new to Faverolles and I got 5 females and a male from Ideal 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately the one I believe to be the male is turning out to have a scissor beak, although he looked normal upon receipt. This one is feathering in much more slowly than the others, too. I'm hoping I'm wrong about the scissor beak being male.

Little scissor beak.

Little one's wing.

Another larger, more feathered, probably female chick. Several have grey/black primaries like this.

Congrats on your chicks! I think you will really enjoy the breed. I think you are correct on the one being male. The other chick pictured looks like a female. The males do seem to feather out more slowly.

Does Ideal have any kind of health guarantee? If he does have a scissor beak they may replace him. Not sure how that works with hatcheries but it might be worth a try.

Last edited:
Congrats on your chicks! I think you will really enjoy the breed. I think you are correct on the one being male. The other chick pictured looks like a female. The males do seem to feather out more quickly.

Does Ideal have any kind of health guarantee? If he does have a scissor beak they may replace him. Not sure how that works with hatcheries but it might be worth a try.
They are giving me a refund, thank you! I had seen that about males feathering more quickly, so that was why I was hoping they made a mistake with one of the females and send a second male. (Kind of a rare wish, I think). I might try to find a SF cockerel locally, although breeders seem to be few and far between where I am (So. CA high desert).

I can't wait to see them get bigger.

They are giving me a refund, thank you! I had seen that about males feathering more quickly, so that was why I was hoping they made a mistake with one of the females and send a second male. (Kind of a rare wish, I think). I might try to find a SF cockerel locally, although breeders seem to be few and far between where I am (So. CA high desert).

I can't wait to see them get bigger.
Hi Magdelaine. I want to correct myself in my last post. I actually meant to say that males feather out more slowly! I wish you luck in finding a male. I have three little 2 week old cockerels right now. If only teleportation were possible
smile.png

So it's been a couple of weeks, and I'm about 98.42317876144% sure that my dark chick is indeed a pullet. Here's some pics I snapped today:

She is 6 weeks old today, and aside from overall filling in, she's pretty much feathered out. The rest of my bunch are much more evenly colored. They seem to be a bit more fearful than they were a few weeks ago though... I'm hoping that when we finish up the new tractor and get them separated from the Silkies they'll mellow back out. *Edit* I think I may call her Suie... French for 'soot'.

Oh, and Gossie has gone broody! How I wish I had some eggs for her to incubate lol!

Last edited:
Do anyone need LF Salmon Faverolles hathcing eggs? My girls are still laying like crazy. PM me for details. I can ship them out tomorrow.
I looked at your pictures in your ad on BYC. Such lovely birds. The beautiful pullet looks like soft pillow. Her color is light, but still rich. Love her. Wish I hadn't just put in some from an ebay purchase. Maybe later this summer. Or in the fall?

So it's been a couple of weeks, and I'm about 98.42317876144% sure that my dark chick is indeed a pullet. Here's some pics I snapped today:

She is 6 weeks old today, and aside from overall filling in, she's pretty much feathered out. The rest of my bunch are much more evenly colored. They seem to be a bit more fearful than they were a few weeks ago though... I'm hoping that when we finish up the new tractor and get them separated from the Silkies they'll mellow back out. *Edit* I think I may call her Suie... French for 'soot'.

Oh, and Gossie has gone broody! How I wish I had some eggs for her to incubate lol!

Hi, this is the age where anything can be…..first impression, a boy, because even though her back has alot of the creamy girl color, there is much black in the breast and the head is getting whiter and the area right behind the head is browning out. Just a guess.

Last edited:
Hi! I’m the proud new mom of two bantam SFs, and have just fallen in love with blues. Would anyone have blue bantam favs, eggs or chicks, they might be willing to sell? I’d be eternally grateful :)

Karen Carpenter in Burlington, Wa. breeds the Blue, black, Splash bantams ( BYC - Sillie 70 )…..I do recommend her, lovely birds, NPIP….My Blue Bantam came from her as well as my beloved Splash Ameracauna Cockerel.

**SOLD** I have 2 pairs of 3-week old Salmon Faverolle chicks available. Hen was shown & took first place at Modesto show. Also have one very pretty extra rooster. Please PM for information.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom