Faverolles Thread

how about fertile hatching eggs?
Shipped eggs are always a gamble. You can have none hatch, or end up with all cockerels (I excel at hatching males - good thing they taste like chicken). Because of that I don't sell hatching eggs.

If you want to take a chance on eggs, PiperOmar does have nice Favs. You could also see if elizmartin sells eggs. Pasofino Farms has decent Favs and sometimes they have some on ebay. Lund Poultry has both bantam and LF, and sell hatching eggs for both varieties. They ship chicks too (straight run). However if you want only pullets you would be better off finding someone that ships started birds, or even try Cackle hatchery.

Shipped eggs are always a gamble. You can have none hatch, or end up with all cockerels (I excel at hatching males - good thing they taste like chicken). Because of that I don't sell hatching eggs.

If you want to take a chance on eggs, PiperOmar does have nice Favs. You could also see if elizmartin sells eggs. Pasofino Farms has decent Favs and sometimes they have some on ebay. Lund Poultry has both bantam and LF, and sell hatching eggs for both varieties. They ship chicks too (straight run). However if you want only pullets you would be better off finding someone that ships started birds, or even try Cackle hatchery.
you see i already have a few chickens i didn't want to buy started ones they may not like each other i lost my rooster so i thought about hatching eggs?

My one faverolle is from Cackle. She was sexed correctly, is close to standard so if you want a breeding project, that might be a cheap way to go. However, I'm not sure how robust she is. She's only 10 months old and already has bumblefoot in each foot. My much bigger and heavier birds don't have any issues with their feet. She does produce a medium sized light chalky pink egg 5 days a week reliably though.

you see i already have a few chickens i didn't want to buy started ones they may not like each other i lost my rooster so i thought about hatching eggs?
Sure, you can try hatching eggs. I've had subpar luck in hatching eggs that have been mailed so I don't waste my time unless it's a unique opportunity.

Or you could contact Lund or Cackle about chicks. Duane Urch was another thought but it seems he only has bantam Favs now. At least you would have live chicks for your investment. It all depends what your goals are.

So...I have a bit of a mystery on my hands here. I am almost 100% positive my older SF hen is no longer laying. I have a gorgeous SF roo in with her and a little mutt hen (chantecler cross). However my little mutt hen lays the exact same shade of eggs as my SF hen did. I hatched a bunch of eggs and expected them all to be crosses. But I ended up with this. So...did I get lucky? Does she look like a purebred SF? She has 5 toes, single comb...very different from the other chicks that hatched out from the crossbred hen.

Two is still fairly young. She may have gone though a molt, and is now starting to come back.

The food coloring trick might work. A few drops of food coloring dropped on the old hens vent, and the egg they lay will be marked. It works when I'm unsure who is laying, or if I want to tell them apart. Blue or green is best, hens tend to pick at anything red.

Last edited:
Two is still fairly young. She may have gone though a molt, and is now starting to come back.

The food coloring trick might work. A few drops of food coloring dropped on the old hens vent, and the egg they lay will be marked. It works when I'm unsure who is laying, or if I want to tell them apart. Blue or green is best, hens tend to pick at anything red.

The food colouring trick is a good one, thanks. Yeah...she's been a bit trying lol. All my other hens lay like clockwork, even my fussy polish hens. I decided to keep her around, even if she wasn't laying, just because she's such a sweet hen. Just hoping that I did manage to get a pullet from her.

Hi all! I'm going to be getting my first Faverolle soon. Decided to order 3 pullets from Cackle and one is a Salmon Faverolle. I look forward to meeting her....they seem lovely.
1f60d.png

Back
Top Bottom