Faverolles Thread

Quote:
Or to Chickie'sMoma about the enameled earlobes?

Also, are you sure you only want to hatch one egg? There's nothing worse than a singleton chick. Peep peep peeeeeeeeeppppp!

I'm sure..... I was just wondering in general if it is too late in the year to hatch. Also, a singleton chick wouldn't be that lonely considering that I'm home all summer just sitting on the couch and doing summer homework. Also, I'm buying an egg in the fall from ()relic, I believe.

it's not too late in the year to hatch. it is just a tough time to send hatching eggs through the mail since the warm/hot temps can cause issues on the eggs-like causing them to set too early so they could quit developing after a couple of days. it is actually easier to have the eggs survive a trip in winter time. they seem to survive the cold better than heat. if you don't have a mail person that is knowledgeable about how important it is for hatching eggs to stay out of the heat they would leave them on a sun drenched deck when it is over 90 degrees out! (i've had it happen)

even having a single chick hatch out is a really bad thing when you want to introduce it to more later. my Chickie (my bantam polish roo) cannot get along with others at all! he had a fight last week through his cage and he looked awful when i went to check on him! it was someone i thought he would surely get along with but i guess both felt they were the dominant boy! Chickie was my first one i hatched last year and he is such a sweet boy to me but he imprinted on me since i had to rescue him from the egg while hatching and i handled him a lot as a chick. at 2 weeks old i tried to put him in with 2 other chicks and he wouldn't have anything to do with them and would get jealous when i tried to handle them. Chickie thinks i am supposed to be his hen (the only one) and has tried to jump my arm to mate with! OUCH! he crows for me when i am out of eye sight in the yard and since he was a house roo when i get home from work and he could hear me through the floor he would crow to get me to come down to play with him. when i am near him he either has to be on my shoulder, in my arms or right at my feet! he has now been moved out to the garage coop again but is separated from seeing everyone so he will have to get used to all of them without being physically harmed this time.

Quote:
It's not too late. I'll probably set some later this week or next. Hatching does take practice so don't be discouraged if the egg doesn't hatch.

I once drove an hour to get a buddy for a single chick. I couldn't take the all day long and all night long peeping! For some reason the mirror trick or a stuffed animal didn't help.

You should have tried an old wind up clock. The tic tic tic usually keeps them quite.
Dick

Quote:
I got mine at WalMart. It's an Acurite, and was $10.

was it a probe one??????

i think i know what might work for a type of probe thermometer for your small incubator. i can't tell you how well this would work but if you bought 2-one for temp and the second i think you have to wrap the tip with cloth or paper towel for the humidity it might work. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bell-Lighted-In-Out-Thermometer-Clock/14324182

Quote:
I will remember that next time. My son's clock goes tick tick tick, and the alarm is a rooster crow. They can get started early listening to that.
smile.png

It's not too late to hatch... this is the time of year that I do all my hatching for repalcements... it's too hot to ship... today is the first day of summer... and in Texas it feels like it has really settled in with night time temps staying in the 80s and daytime temps in the 90s and rising. The nice thing about hatching at this time of year for me is that I don't need a brooder... chicks stay plenty warm by just going outside in a big chicken tractor that gets moved on to fresh grass every day... they seem so happy when they get fresh grass and bugs right from the outset... and as they get a little older I put the tractor over manure piles so they can have that to scratch through. I also get to let my adults out to free range all the time... for a month before and during the season we sell eggs they can only come out on pasture in their own breeding groups for a day or two a week... I love seeing them all over the farm really getting to be chickens!
big_smile.png

Quote:
That's awesome Melissa! Wow - no brooder...if only...!! LOL It's nice and sunny today, but it's still only 72. It was rainy and about 60 for a high yesterday...yuck! I would love to be able to let my birds just roam around, but 2 days ago I had one of the bald eagles in a tree in my yard, watching my birds! They've never came that close before...they've already wiped out all of the domestic ducks that have been dumped at the pond a mile from my house, I guess they're hungry for chicken now...
hide.gif

Chickie'sMoma :

Quote:
I'm sure..... I was just wondering in general if it is too late in the year to hatch. Also, a singleton chick wouldn't be that lonely considering that I'm home all summer just sitting on the couch and doing summer homework. Also, I'm buying an egg in the fall from ()relic, I believe.

it's not too late in the year to hatch. it is just a tough time to send hatching eggs through the mail since the warm/hot temps can cause issues on the eggs-like causing them to set too early so they could quit developing after a couple of days. it is actually easier to have the eggs survive a trip in winter time. they seem to survive the cold better than heat. if you don't have a mail person that is knowledgeable about how important it is for hatching eggs to stay out of the heat they would leave them on a sun drenched deck when it is over 90 degrees out! (i've had it happen)

even having a single chick hatch out is a really bad thing when you want to introduce it to more later. my Chickie (my bantam polish roo) cannot get along with others at all! he had a fight last week through his cage and he looked awful when i went to check on him! it was someone i thought he would surely get along with but i guess both felt they were the dominant boy! Chickie was my first one i hatched last year and he is such a sweet boy to me but he imprinted on me since i had to rescue him from the egg while hatching and i handled him a lot as a chick. at 2 weeks old i tried to put him in with 2 other chicks and he wouldn't have anything to do with them and would get jealous when i tried to handle them. Chickie thinks i am supposed to be his hen (the only one) and has tried to jump my arm to mate with! OUCH! he crows for me when i am out of eye sight in the yard and since he was a house roo when i get home from work and he could hear me through the floor he would crow to get me to come down to play with him. when i am near him he either has to be on my shoulder, in my arms or right at my feet! he has now been moved out to the garage coop again but is separated from seeing everyone so he will have to get used to all of them without being physically harmed this time.​

I agree about sending hatching eggs this time of year its hard to ship them! I agree about the hand raised or singelton chicks bonding to people and being pains later on when they are bigger.

Quote:
I am pretty happy about hatching now I don't need a brooder and our weather seems to be about the same here it was very hot and humid today! Glad to hear your getting all of those separate pens for the favs so you can separate out the colors.

Henry

Back
Top Bottom